Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Sorting by Date - Suggested Improvement

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Bill_Heinzelman
5 - Automation Enthusiast

In our Kanban board, we have a To Do column and Iโ€™m sorting records by Due Date 1 -> 9. The problem is, some records have pre-assigned due dates and others donโ€™t (theyโ€™re added later). And records which donโ€™t have a Due Date are actually sorted above the records that do have a Due Date, which is the opposite of what I would expect when using this sortation. Any record that doesnโ€™t have a due date should be at the bottom of the list and not at the top. We want to see tasks that need to be completed immediately and theyโ€™re buried by the tasks/records that donโ€™t have any dates right now.

8 Comments
Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Hi Bill, and welcome to the community!

One idea - add a filter to your Kanban board that hides such items.

Bill_Heinzelman

Hi Bill, thanks for the response. We could do that, but without going into the whole process, we still want to see the records. So we ideally donโ€™t want to hide them, just have them sorted below records with actual dates. Iโ€™m assuming records without dates are assigned a value of โ€œ0โ€ so thatโ€™s why sortation is working this way.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

I think itโ€™s something like that, but more likely to be computingโ€™s date of origin (Epoch).

I understand the need for comprehensive viewing. Hereโ€™s another approach:

• Create a new formula field that tests the date;
  • Those which are empty it computes the last day of the current year;
  • Those that are not empty it uses whatever the date is.
  • Change the Kanban view to sort based on the formula field instead of the actual date field.
Bill_Heinzelman

Thanks Bill! This is very helpful, greatly appreciated.

Kai_Soremekun
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Bill ~
I was looking for something to answer this exact issue.
Is it possible to post an example of how that formula would look?
Thanks so much

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Kanban views group by a single-select or single-collaborator field, not a formula field. You can group records in a grid view based on a formula result, but you donโ€™t get the same experience.

LW-SavvyIndie
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Agreed this is poor UX.
Hereโ€™s a screenshot of the problem in action:
Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 5.06.41 PM

Thereโ€™s a bigger principle here AirTable should adotp: Empty fields should always sink to the bottom on Sort

Dustin_Hodge

I got around this by adding a formula column called Has Due Date (which I then hid) that is 1 if it does and 0 if it doesnโ€™t. (Test if {Due Date} = BLANK()) I sort by that computed column first and THEN sort by the Due Date field. Itโ€™s a bit of a hack that really shouldnโ€™t be necessary, but it works.