cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sobhy_Sonbol
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello Everyone, 

I am trying to create an automation that sends draft social media posts for approval. The problem I am running in to is being able to reply to these actionable messages in Slack with text that will update an airtable field. So basically here is how the work flow goes. When a new post is created and is in draft it will send an actionable message to a slack channel with two buttons. The first button is "Approve" and the 2nd button is "comment". If the comment button is clicked I would like the slack user to be able to enter some text that will then update a field in airtable. I have been able to get the approve button to work but when the comment button is selected I do not get the option in slack to enter text. How can I solve this problem. 

I would appreciate your input. 

Thank You 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

That is not yet possible with Airtable’s actionable messages, but it’s a great idea that you may want to submit to support@airtable.com.

There are probably many different ways of solving this, but the way that I typically handle this situation for my Airtable consulting clients is that I give them just one actionable button to approve the post. 

And then, if they want to edit the post, I have the automation put a customized URL link in the body of the Slack message that takes them to a Fillout form where they can update that particular Airtable record, without ever needing access to the Airtable base or record itself.

Fillout lets people update Airtable records from a form, so I leverage that feature to piece together the entire approval/editing process in Slack.

Alternatively, if your users are allowed to have access to that Airtable base or record or interface, you could just give them a direct link to that record in Airtable, and have them edit it in Airtable.

Other people might have other ideas below, too!

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld 

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

That is not yet possible with Airtable’s actionable messages, but it’s a great idea that you may want to submit to support@airtable.com.

There are probably many different ways of solving this, but the way that I typically handle this situation for my Airtable consulting clients is that I give them just one actionable button to approve the post. 

And then, if they want to edit the post, I have the automation put a customized URL link in the body of the Slack message that takes them to a Fillout form where they can update that particular Airtable record, without ever needing access to the Airtable base or record itself.

Fillout lets people update Airtable records from a form, so I leverage that feature to piece together the entire approval/editing process in Slack.

Alternatively, if your users are allowed to have access to that Airtable base or record or interface, you could just give them a direct link to that record in Airtable, and have them edit it in Airtable.

Other people might have other ideas below, too!

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld 

Thank you, Scott, for the quick response. I will try your solution. I am still trying to get my clients to adopt Airtable and if we get to the point where we need some expert help, I know who to call.