382 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LinaJ
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I feel like this ought to be the easiest thing to do, but I am new to airtable and haven't been able to figure it out.

Table 1 has a primary field with several dozen rows. Table 2 (in the same base) is a CSV imported from Shopify. Its primary field has entries that mostly, but not completely, match table 1 (there are a few entries in table 1 that do not match table 2 and vice versa).

I want to create a field in table 1 that automatically imports the net sales data from table 2, matching up the entries in the primary field. By automatically, I mean that will fill the whole column rather than making me click on each cell, not that it has to update automatically or anything. any fields that don't match up can be blank or throw an error, I don't care.

I tried using the linked function, but I could only get it to link to table 2 as a whole, with a second lookup column, forcing me to click on each cell and link manually to the primary field in table 2.  I know I'm missing something obvious, but help would be deeply appreciated!

1 Reply 1
corb1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Are you trying to do this a few times manually? Or are you trying to automate?

If manual, I would...

• In your CSV import table, create a new column of type linked field. Choose your primary table
  • Next in your CSV table, click the header label above the primary key to select the whole column. Cmd+C (mac) or Ctrl+C (PC) to copy
  • In the CSV table, click the header label above the newly created linked field column. Cmd+V or Ctrl+V to paste. All the primary key data should duplicate into your new column & link to the other table
  • Next go to the primary table, create a new column of type lookup. Specify the field related to the CSV table. For the lookup field, specify the sales column(s). You should now have the sales data in the primary table in the form of a lookup field