Help

Re: Automating Linked Cells to Populate Across 4 Tables (plus linking the primary)

Solved
Jump to Solution
667 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim_Sox
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you so very much for your kind help!! I’m hours deep into trying to figure this out and feel like I’m stranded on a raft in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight.

Here’s my head-scratcher… In one base, we have 4 tables. The first 4 cells in every record are identical across all 4 tables. After that, the field types and data changes for the remainder of the record. (We do production, so it’s the same 4 product details for each record on every table, and the different tables break down tasks for the same product at its 4 different phases of development.)

Capture2

Capture

What I want to happen is that on the first table, when I enter new data in the first 4 cells, that same data is automated to magically appear on the next 3 tables. The reasons I’m going mildly nuts:

1. What should I set the automation at so that whenever I enter new data into the first 4 cells they automatically populate on the next 3 tables? (I know how to link them, but I still have to manually go and select them on the other 3 tables every time, which I want to automate.)

2. How can I link the first primary field, when there is no linking option? I couldn’t figure out a formula that would make it work. Do I just need to leave that blank (which means the calendar view won’t work on those)?

First one to save my sanity wins a free trip to Hawaii at their own expense! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Seriously, thank you for any help! I’m stumped. You’d be a life-saver!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community, @Jim_Sox!

It doesn’t sound to me like you’ve setup your base properly.

Instead of creating 4 completely separate tables for tracking the exact same projects, your projects should only live once in one table entitled “Projects”, and then you can create different Views to show you filtered lists of projects based on what stage they’re in.

Here is Airtable’s support article on Views:

I also cover Views in depth in my free Airtable training course, “Learning Airtable”:

However, if you still want to use your approach — which I do not recommend at all — here are the answers to your questions:

1. What should I set the automation at so that whenever I enter new data into the first 4 cells they automatically populate on the next 3 tables?

You would need to create a checkbox field or a single-select field which serves as the trigger for your automation. The trigger would be “when a record matches conditions”, based on the value of the checkbox field or single-select field.

1. How can I link the first primary field, when there is no linking option?

To link records, you need to first create a linked record field. Then, the value that you put into that field has to match the primary field value of a record in the linked table. (If that primary field is NOT a formula field, then you can also create new linked records this way as well.)

p.s. It sounds like you might benefit from working with a professional Airtable consultant. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with your system, please feel free to contact me through my website:

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community, @Jim_Sox!

It doesn’t sound to me like you’ve setup your base properly.

Instead of creating 4 completely separate tables for tracking the exact same projects, your projects should only live once in one table entitled “Projects”, and then you can create different Views to show you filtered lists of projects based on what stage they’re in.

Here is Airtable’s support article on Views:

I also cover Views in depth in my free Airtable training course, “Learning Airtable”:

However, if you still want to use your approach — which I do not recommend at all — here are the answers to your questions:

1. What should I set the automation at so that whenever I enter new data into the first 4 cells they automatically populate on the next 3 tables?

You would need to create a checkbox field or a single-select field which serves as the trigger for your automation. The trigger would be “when a record matches conditions”, based on the value of the checkbox field or single-select field.

1. How can I link the first primary field, when there is no linking option?

To link records, you need to first create a linked record field. Then, the value that you put into that field has to match the primary field value of a record in the linked table. (If that primary field is NOT a formula field, then you can also create new linked records this way as well.)

p.s. It sounds like you might benefit from working with a professional Airtable consultant. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with your system, please feel free to contact me through my website:

Jim_Sox
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@ScottWorld, You.Are.A.Genuis!! That is precisely the fix I have been looking for. I’ve been testing it and it should work ideally for our needs. I seriously cannot begin to thank you enough for your extremely generous and kind help! You are our hero! 😃

Haha, you’re welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

If you need additional help, feel free to reach out to me through my website!