cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morganseechange
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey, 

I am trying to create an automation to update records. 

For example, I have a table that has a master list of contacts. I have a second table (in the same base) for a specific event - let's call the second tab, Events. When someone from the master list registers for the event, they automated get added to the Events tab. 

I now want to create an automation so that if the contacts name, email, title, or any other information about them gets updated in the master list, it also automatically gets updated in the Events tab. 

Is this possible? I have tried to set up the When record is updated automation for hours and its still telling me something is wrong. 

Thank you in advance!!

3 Replies 3

If I were you I'd attempt to do this via linked fields instead of via an automation

I would create a linked field between "Contacts" and "Events", and when a Contact registers for an Event I would link their record to the Event they were signing up for

In the "Events" table, I would then create lookup fields to display whatever data I needed from the "Contacts" table, and any updates to the "Contacts" table would reflect automatically via the lookup fields

morganseechange
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am testing this, but it seems like in order for this work, I need to have the person populated in the Main Contacts sheet, and have a Linked Record section. Then, when someone from the Main contacts tab registers, I need to go to the Events Tab and type in their full name. Then, I need to go back to the contacts tab, and under the Linked Record section, I need to search their name and click on them so that the rest of the info (say email, phone, etc) finishes populating over in the Events tab. 

Is that correct? I was trying to avoid the extra steps of having to go to places to enter the persons name (on the contacts tab and the events tab to link them)

Hm, sorry, I don't really understand what you're doing.

Here's a gif of the linked field + lookup things I mentioned:

Screen Recording 2023-04-11 at 12.54.37 PM.gif