cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
olireynoldson
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi all,

Wanted to see if anyone had any ideas why the following isn't working.

Background

• I have a table of issues each with a specific code
  • I also have a table that takes form submissions for the yes/no output of questions in the form.
  • When the a question is answered "yes" I want to create a link in a lookup field to the issues table to record the specific issue found.

Issue

• Upon the form submission the automation I have set up only works for the first question. After the first question none of the other questions answered yes are linking to the specific record.

Any ideas why this is?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You can create a helper formula field that creates a comma separated list of the records to link to. Then have the automation copy the formula result to the linked record field. The formula does the heavy lifting of determining which records to link to, and the automation just creates the link.

You can see a write up of this solution in my my Guide to Airtable

On the other hand, even if this solution works for you, you might want to run your base schema by an experienced Airtable consultant. It looks like you have a lot of linked record fields.

See Solution in Thread

6 Replies 6

Ah, once the first criteria gets met the automation stops running I'm afraid. 

If you could provide some screenshots of your form table and your issues table perhaps we could find a workaround?

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You can create a helper formula field that creates a comma separated list of the records to link to. Then have the automation copy the formula result to the linked record field. The formula does the heavy lifting of determining which records to link to, and the automation just creates the link.

You can see a write up of this solution in my my Guide to Airtable

On the other hand, even if this solution works for you, you might want to run your base schema by an experienced Airtable consultant. It looks like you have a lot of linked record fields.

Good to know re the automation.

In the form table I am trying to automate the linking of specific records from another table if the question in the form is answered yes. Essentially the specific question will always link to the same record. There's around 14 questions in total.

Screenshot 2023-05-22 085916.png

Screenshot 2023-05-22 090855.png

olireynoldson_0-1684743062481.png

Thanks Kuovonne - let me take a look at this method and come back to you

Roger that.  Looks like you're exploring a possible solution already; happy to help further if needed

Got it to work and seems to fit the bill. Appreciate the help!