Help

Automation to remove a single linked record, not all

Topic Labels: Automations
87 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a table of products that includes a linked record field to a “tags” table. Each product can have multiple tags. I want to create an automation that auto applies one of the tags, called “New Product”, to the product and auto removes the same tag at a later date but does not remove all the other tags in the field.

I was able to get the first part to work wonderfully – I have a field that is the last modified date and I setup an automation to apply the “New Product” tag to the the product if the item enters a view and the last modified date was within the last 30 days. But, I can’t figure out how to remove the tag without also removing every other tag in the field.

Any thoughts or threads of wisdom?

Thanks,
Justin

5 Replies 5

Can’t think of a way to do this directly without using the scripting extension. If you have a paid plan you can run a script from an automation.

@Zack_S Thanks. I’m not the best scripter in the world but it’s good to hear some validation that it doesn’t look possible outside a script. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Yo, I think I have this one solved for you.

We have a Product Table

And a Tags Table;

I wrote two Automations to manage the Linked “Tags” field.

The first Automation adds the “New Product” tag to any newly created record in the Product Table - fairly straight forward to do with no-code Automation.

And then finally, we have another Automation with the trigger “When a record is updated” that monitors the “Tag” field in the Products table - where a script is executed upon a change being detected.

Below is my script, which looks to be working as hoped in my brief testing;

//Get the record with the "Tag" field change
const inputConfig = input.config();
const productsTable = base.getTable("Products");
const myRecord = await productsTable.selectRecordAsync(inputConfig.recordId);

//Get the recordID for the "New Product" Tag
const tagsTable = base.getTable("Tags");
const tagRecords = await tagsTable.selectRecordsAsync({fields: ["Name"]});
let [newProductTagRecord] = tagRecords.records.filter( record => (record.name === "New Product"));

//Logic for if the Tags Field is empty, in this case "null"
if (myRecord?.getCellValue("Tags") == null) {
    await productsTable.updateRecordAsync(inputConfig.recordId, {
        "Tags" : [{id: newProductTagRecord?.id}]
    })
} ;

//Logic for if the Tags Field is 2 or more tags, then remove the "New Product" tag.
if (myRecord.getCellValue("Tags").length >= 2) {

let removeProductTagRecord = myRecord.getCellValue("Tags").filter( record => (record.name != "New Product"));

"Tags" : removeProductTagRecord
    })
};

@Karlstens This looks great! I think this does achieve what we’re trying to do. I’m just not getting it to work in my environment – I’ve not really used scripting much to this point.

In my case:
-the products table name is “Product Catalog Reference”
-the tags table name is “Official Tags Table”
-the field that houses the tags on the product table record is called “Product Tags”
-instead of using the watching field, I am using a trigger of when a particular fields date is greater than 30 days
-in the input config area I added the record Id and labeled as you have in your script and I added the “Product Tags” field as well.

Finally, here is how I amended your code to try to fit my environment:

//Get the record with the “Tag” field change
const inputConfig = input.config();
const productsTable = base.getTable(“Product Catalog Reference”);
const myRecord = await productsTable.selectRecordAsync(inputConfig.recordId);

//Get the recordID for the “New Product” Tag
const tagsTable = base.getTable(“Official Tags Table”);
const tagRecords = await tagsTable.selectRecordsAsync({fields: [“Name”]});
let [newProductTagRecord] = tagRecords.records.filter( record => (record.name === “New Product”));

//Logic for if the Tags Field is empty, in this case “null”
if (myRecord?.getCellValue(“Product Tags”) == null) {
“Product Tags” : [{id: newProductTagRecord?.id}]
})
} ;

//Logic for if the Tags Field is 2 or more tags, then remove the “New Product” tag.
if (myRecord.getCellValue(“Product Tags”).length >= 2) {

let removeProductTagRecord = myRecord.getCellValue("Product Tags").filter( record => (record.name != "New Product"));

"Product Tags" : removeProductTagRecord
})

};

It runs “successfully” but when I test it, it does not remove the tag. Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks SO much for your help.

I remapped my base, then copied in your code (and changed double quotes to single) - and it worked as expected.

You might need to add some debugging to the code for various variables, such as

console.log(removeProductTagRecord )

And also check the Run History of the Automation to see if it’s triggering and working (without doing anything) or triggering and failing (with error).

I would hazard a guess, that the only reason why it’s not working, is that you’re using a different trigger method of waiting 30 days - so I’m assuming you’re using a Grid View with a filter, along with the trigger “When a record enters a view”? And if so, just double check its setup - and be warned, Views can be easily modified, and I’ve become more accustomed to not using View config within scripting.