Help

Re: Changes to permissions in a interface after automation is triggered or a specific value is assig

Solved
Jump to Solution
299 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flavich
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi all!

Please tell me, is it possible to change the rights in the interface on a specific entry after the automation has been triggered?

I want to do the following:
1) I have a Kanban board - an interface in which, when opening one of the records, you can change the status, date, etc.
Is it possible to prohibit changing the status or date of this record when a certain status is reached (for example, done) without restricting others?

2) I would like certain fields in posts to be edited only by the record author (the record author creates the post via a form)?

Thank you in advance and wish you a good productive week!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Airtable does not offer any record-level permissions, neither static permissions nor dynamically-changing permissions based on dynamic criteria.

The only simulation of record permissions that you can implement would be to use a filter to hide or show certain records. You can filter your interface to show a user only their own records, or you can filter based on other criteria.

For anything more advanced than that, you would need to pay extra money to use an Airtable portal.

A few of the leading customer portals are Noloco, JetAdmin, Softr, Pory, and Glide.

JetAdmin is probably my favorite for sheer simplicity & user-friendliness, while Noloco is probably the most powerful & customizable one.

I give a brief tutorial of Noloco on this Airtable podcast episode. And I also presented a full one-hour webinar on Noloco called Building a Client Portal on Noloco powered by Airtable.

If the portals don’t support all the features that you need, then you would need to look at more advanced database apps that offer record-level permissions as a key security feature of the product. The best database app that I know of that offers this is FileMaker.

I used to be a FileMaker developer for 30 years before becoming an Airtable consultant. If you go down the FileMaker path, feel free to reach out to me through my website and I can put you in touch with some great FileMaker developers.

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Airtable does not offer any record-level permissions, neither static permissions nor dynamically-changing permissions based on dynamic criteria.

The only simulation of record permissions that you can implement would be to use a filter to hide or show certain records. You can filter your interface to show a user only their own records, or you can filter based on other criteria.

For anything more advanced than that, you would need to pay extra money to use an Airtable portal.

A few of the leading customer portals are Noloco, JetAdmin, Softr, Pory, and Glide.

JetAdmin is probably my favorite for sheer simplicity & user-friendliness, while Noloco is probably the most powerful & customizable one.

I give a brief tutorial of Noloco on this Airtable podcast episode. And I also presented a full one-hour webinar on Noloco called Building a Client Portal on Noloco powered by Airtable.

If the portals don’t support all the features that you need, then you would need to look at more advanced database apps that offer record-level permissions as a key security feature of the product. The best database app that I know of that offers this is FileMaker.

I used to be a FileMaker developer for 30 years before becoming an Airtable consultant. If you go down the FileMaker path, feel free to reach out to me through my website and I can put you in touch with some great FileMaker developers.

Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

You may be able to do this with some Airtable behind the interfaces magic.

1. Create an interface that lets user edit {editable status field}
  2. use and automation to copy {editable date field} to {official date field}
    1. If {official status field} does not equal done copy it over
    2. If it is done notify the user that they cannot modify a record that is in done state and copy {official date field} back to {editable date field}

That’s a great trick! Basically, expose a “dummy field” that is always editable 100% of the time, but then use an automation that runs in the background that only updates the “real field” if certain conditions are met. That’s a great workaround! I love it! 😎🙌