cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jakub_Szerszen
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi guys!

I’m trying to set up an automation where I could send an email to a requestor once the project matched certain conditions. For a requestor field, we’re using a collaborator option, and now whenever I’m trying to send an email to a collaborator I’m getting a message of “invalid email address” .

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 12.29.23

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 12.29.31

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 12.36.29

Is that something airtable is working currently on? Or is there an alternative way to generate an email address for a collaborator? The Formula for instance etc.

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Hi @Jakub_Szerszen ,

What is the type of email field?
Thanks

Jakub_Szerszen

Hi @Dimitris_Goudis

Literally, what I thought, airtable would let me send an email to a collaborator (screenshot below) without the need of incorporating email addresses into the base. I was thinking if a user is having an access to a base, airtable would be able to find a way to send an email to his/her email address by the collaborator type field. Eventually, if that’s not possible, I was wondering if there is an option to write a formula that would populate an email address from the collaborate type field.

Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 09.12.51

Hi @Jakub_Szerszen,

I just made a test in what you described but it didn’t work… :frowning:

What I recommend is to create a new tab where you will store the name and e-mail of your collaborator. Then in the first tab you have to create a "Linked to " field that will return the name value from the second tab. Based on this filed you will run a “Look up” field that will return the e-mail from the corresponding collaborator. Then you will use this email field in your automation.

In case you don’t want to use an other table with linked in fields and look up, you can use swtch() function that based on collaborator’s name that will return the corresponding e-mail.

Please text us back in case if it worked or not :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks

Do you have a collaborator set in the test record?

Andrew_Carville
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi all,

I’m trying to achieve the same thing here. I’ve set up a combined to-do list with all of our staff. I’d like to be able to create a new task, assign an ‘owner’ of that task in a collaborator field, and have just that person emailed when the record (task) is created.

Given the way airtable works with collaborators across a base or workspace, I thought this would have been a pretty simple thing to add to the automations?

Cheers,
AC

@Andrew_Carville If you are having trouble setting up the automation to email a collaborator when a new task record is created, here are the top potential trouble spots:

(1) If you are using the “when record created” trigger, the automation starts at the moment of creation, before any data has been entered. This usually is not the desired behavior. You may need to adjust your trigger to “when record meets conditions”.

(2) Make sure that your records have a collaborator selected. If there is no collaborator, then there is no-one to send the email to.

Note that you do not need to have a separate table to store emails. This support article has more info on why you might want a separate table.

I’m doing the same thing and it’s not working for me either. Once a form is submitted, I’m trying to have the collaborator that it’s assigned to get an email.

I submitted two forms. One was assigned to Collaborator A and one was assigned to Collaborator B.

When the automation was on, it ran for both submitted forms even though I have a condition set for Collaborator A.

It found the form that was submitted for Collaborator A even though the submitted form was for Collaborator B.

Is it not possible to send form notifications only to the collaborator it’s assigned to?

I tried creating two different automations and typing out the email in the “to” field instead of pulling the email from the form like the original poster did, but it’s like the automation is not looking at specific form submitted when I do “find records”.

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 5.00.58 AM

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 5.10.55 AM