Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Create new records for each week of another record's timeframe

Solved
Jump to Solution
1373 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lisa_Bauer
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thank you for considering to help me! Here's the process I'm trying to create:

1. A new record is created via a form which will have a start and end date (i.e. 7/3-7/28)
  2. Based on the timeframe (above), I would like to set up an automation where additional new records are created (within the same table) for each week within that timeframe. (i.e. a new record with the dates 7/3-7/7; another record with the dates 7/10-7/14; another one for 7/17-7/21 and the last one for 7/24-7/28). There will be other fields that I'd like to copy from the original record as well. 

I'd like to avoid a script and just use formulas and automations, but am open to a script (although will need help writing one!) if that's the best/only option.

Thank you! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

I took a crack at solving this without a script in the latest episode of the BuiltOnAir podcast: S15, E01. In short, you'll need one automation and two "helper" formula fields

https://www.youtube.com/live/G2zGaPN98zU?feature=share&t=2586

The formulas for the two helper fields discussed in my implementation:

⚙️Clamped End Date

The following formula will get the Friday of whatever week "Start Date" is in.

IF(
  {Start Date},
  DATEADD({Start Date}, 5-WEEKDAY({Start Date}), "days")
)

⚙️ Next Start Date

Te=he following formula will simply add one week to the "Start Date" if the "Clamped End Date" is before the "End Date". Essentially, if the time span is longer than a week, this field tells the automation that a new record needs to be created, and this date will be its "Start Date".

IF(
  {⚙️ Clamped End Date} < {End Date},
  DATEADD({Start Date}, 1, "week")
)

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

I took a crack at solving this without a script in the latest episode of the BuiltOnAir podcast: S15, E01. In short, you'll need one automation and two "helper" formula fields

https://www.youtube.com/live/G2zGaPN98zU?feature=share&t=2586

The formulas for the two helper fields discussed in my implementation:

⚙️Clamped End Date

The following formula will get the Friday of whatever week "Start Date" is in.

IF(
  {Start Date},
  DATEADD({Start Date}, 5-WEEKDAY({Start Date}), "days")
)

⚙️ Next Start Date

Te=he following formula will simply add one week to the "Start Date" if the "Clamped End Date" is before the "End Date". Essentially, if the time span is longer than a week, this field tells the automation that a new record needs to be created, and this date will be its "Start Date".

IF(
  {⚙️ Clamped End Date} < {End Date},
  DATEADD({Start Date}, 1, "week")
)

Wow, @Kamille_Parks !! I'm honored that you used my question on your podcast, THANK YOU! this solution is brilliant - exactly what I was looking for. I'll work on testing it and will let you know if I have nay questions. THANK YOU SO MUCH!