cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mirkolando
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Airtable Community,

I have a table with events. New events can be added via a form and various needs can be requested for the event using a multiple selection field.

A record is generated in a second table for each need.

I have currently created an automation for each selection option as I have not yet found a way to do this dynamically. However, as there are now around 30 different needs, I would like to make the automation dynamic. Any ideas for a solution? The problem is that the need has to be named correctly and I can't pull this information dynamically from the multi-selection field.

mirkolando_0-1712824454985.pngmirkolando_1-1712824484459.png

Thank you and Best

Mirko 

16 Replies 16

Ah, I was thinking we'd use Fillout's edit record function to let your users add the new need.  So instead of submitting a whole new form for that event, they'd just modify the original submission and add the need there

https://www.fillout.com/help/airtable-update-form

Yes! See my comment on this thread from April 11th. I kind of stopped following when it seemed like @mirkolando was trying to do this natively with Airtable. Would already be working and on to the next thing!

Fillout can act like form ( i.e. record creation). It can also be used to allow the user to update records after they are created. https://www.fillout.com/help/airtable-update-form

mirkolando
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@Brian_Sweeny @TheTimeSavingCo 

Understood. Thak you very much.

I know there is also the function in fillout, to create multiple records in another table with a link record field. 

Multiple Airtable records with a single form using Fillout (youtube.com)

But is this also possible with a multiselect field. Otherwise the users cannot choose from a list, but request what they want.

Best

Mirko 

The multi-select field would be in the Needs table labeled something like ‘need type’. The user can select which need type in the process of creating a need.

re: But is this also possible with a multiselect field. Otherwise the users cannot choose from a list, but request what they want.

I don't think so I'm afraid, you'd still need to use an automation to create one record per multiselect option
---

It seems like you really want to let your users use a multiselect field instead of a linked field, and you also cannot get your users to stop submitting requests for needs they've already asked for in the past

If so, I think a possible option is to use a formula field to output a unique text string per Event and Need combination, which can be seen in the field "Text for pasting" below:

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 12.07.11 PM.png
You can then use an automation that will paste that output into the linked field, which will do what you need

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 12.09.26 PM.png
Link to base

mirkolando
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@TheTimeSavingCo @Brian_Sweeny 

Thank you very much for your support. We will adapt our workflow and find a solution that we can implement directly in Airtable.

Best regards
Mirko