cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mirkolando
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Airtable Community,

I have a table with events. New events can be added via a form and various needs can be requested for the event using a multiple selection field.

A record is generated in a second table for each need.

I have currently created an automation for each selection option as I have not yet found a way to do this dynamically. However, as there are now around 30 different needs, I would like to make the automation dynamic. Any ideas for a solution? The problem is that the need has to be named correctly and I can't pull this information dynamically from the multi-selection field.

mirkolando_0-1712824454985.pngmirkolando_1-1712824484459.png

Thank you and Best

Mirko 

8 Replies 8

Try using a repeating group action, using the multiple select field as your input:
https://support.airtable.com/docs/repeating-groups-of-automation-actions

Brian_Sweeny
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I think it would save you a lot of time and headache and give your users a better user experience to by using Fillout in conjunction with Airtable to accomplish this workflow. With Fillout, you can have the user create linked records so you don't have to worry about making a long, convoluted conditional or repeating automation. Also, the form styling is modern and up-to-date. Let me know if you need help with this! 

mirkolando
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@TheTimeSavingCo  thank you for your message. That works fine. However, I still have a problem:

For some of my requests, I also have a comment field in the form. this comment field, must also be inserted in the created requests. So if someone selects Watchmaker in the multiple selection and enters something in the comment field, I want a data record with the name Watchmaker to be created in the Requests table that is linked to the respective event, and the comment from the comment field to appear in the Comment field in the Request table.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

mirkolando_0-1714403175576.png

Thank you and best regards

Mirko

Hmm, I think you'd need to:
1. Create one lookup field per type of comment in the "Request" table
2. In "Request", create a formula field that will display the value of the appropriate lookup field based on the selected staff need

mirkolando
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@TheTimeSavingCo  thank you!

That works well. But I still have the problem that if I subsequently want to set another need, the automation is retriggered and all requests are generated again. I'm beginning to think that the only way to solve this is with individual automations for each need.

Interesting!  Assuming you've already submitted a need for a Watchmaker and you find that you now also need an Engraver, are you saying that you are submitting a form with both "Watchmaker" and "Engraver" selected? 

mirkolando
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@TheTimeSavingCo  

Exactly. It may well be that only one watchmaker is planned when the event is first planned. It is then decided later that an engraver is also required. The users only have access to an interface in which they cannot add new entries manually but can open the respective event data record and generate a new record in the "Request" table by selecting the additional needs in the additional selection field.

mirkolando_1-1714475929003.png

Currently, the automation that generates a new request is triggered when, for example, "Staff Needs" is updated. However, all options clicked on are then generated. Regardless of whether they have already been created.

Best

Mirko

Hmm, if it's possible to change the workflow so your users don't select needs that they've already previously selected that would be the simplest option

If that's not an option, I'd suggest looking into Fillout.  It's possible to do this natively in Airtable but it's a fair amount of work, so might as well just use Fillout I reckon