Help

Re: How do we access an input variable in a form and assign it upon creation of record?

853 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandon_Vang
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have an input variable called “recordId” with value of Domain of website. My question is, when we create a new form from the interface to add a record to a table, how do we access that record? I noticed when we set up input variables, they only access specific values we give it. How do we avoid this and allow variable to be free to capture the data in the form?

const config = input.config();
const recordId = config[‘recordId’];
console.log(recordId);

For example, let says I have an interface form that allows me to create a record.
Let’s assume the form has: Name, Domain.

When I click submit to create a new record entry, this input variable should have Name, Domain. For some reason, I’m unable to figure this out.

1 Reply 1

I hit a similar limitation with Interface Forms recently, where I wanted to trigger an Automation. For ... reasons... I ended up embedding a View Form link within the Interface Form button, that starts the new record process, and allowed an Automation to be specifically tied to that Record Creation via the View Form trigger - and upon completing that View Form, I used some URL RecordID trickery to return the user back to the Interface form of their newly created record, where they can continue working.

Importantly, Airtable devs literally just added a new feature to View Forms that allows you to capture the Users Airtable profile to identify the user who created the record - which is ****ing fantastic! 😃

Karlstens_0-1670892813426.png

With a mix of traditional View Forms nested within Interface Buttons, that then return to the interface upon View Form submission (and that trigger View Form automation), you can do some very clever things.

That's not to say however, that we shouldn't nag Airtable developers to improve their Automation triggers, to specify triggers for ALL types of record creation, including Interface Forms - and even allow for multiple selection of Record Trigger types, a feature that is desperately needed by myself.