cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nicko54
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi all, 

I am new to airtable and fumbling my way to create a resource directory for a group of companies.  

What I am stuck on at the moment is how to adjust the options shown in a dropdown list if a name is not shown in another column. 

Screenshot below - is it possible to only have the names listed in the respective 'Provider' cell, in the Select dropdown? 

So in the example below, only have 'Thrive' and 'StartupQ' in the Select dropdown for that row?  

Nicko54_0-1721254462166.png

I hope this makes sense! 

Many thanks, 

2 Replies 2
Kenneth_Raghuna
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I don't think Airtable allows you to do that (you cannot restrict single/multi select options based on another single/multi select field in the same table).

A workaround would be to move your "Providers" into a distinct table, and the options in "Select" to yet another distinct table.

In the Providers table, create a linked field linking to the "Select" table, and link records that would be valid options for the given Provider.

Then in your original table, you can create linked fields to both "Providers" and "Select"

In the "Select" field specifically, you would toggle "Filter record selection by condition" ON, and use this condition statement:
WHERE > Providers > has any of > *Linked Record Field to "Providers* (note: you will need to click the cog on the right side and select "Dynamic condition" in order to select this)

This isn't the most elegant solution, but it would produce the desired result.

As @Kenneth_Raghuna mentioned above, this feature is available for linked record fields. Here is Airtable’s support article on this: Dynamic linked record fields.

This feature is also available in Airtable’s forms, and is even more powerful in Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable.

— ScottWorld, Expert Airtable Consultant