Help

How to create only 1 new record via automation when 2 with same name enter a view

Topic Labels: Automations
Solved
Jump to Solution
511 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alix
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

So I have 2 bases, let’s say A and B.
Table 1 in Base A is synced to Base B.
When 2 records with the same name lets say X are created in base A table 1, they enter a view on the synced table on B.
When they enter this view an automation runs to create two new records in base B table 2 with the same name (dynamic field value).
However when X and X are created in base A, I only want one new record to be created in base B’s table (when the name is exactly the same).
What would be the easiest way to have the automation only create 1 new record named X?

And it would be a bonus if I could have the new record in base b’s version field number to fill out as 2 when there are 2, 3 when there are 3 records with same name in base A and so on.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Hi Alix, if I were you I’d:

1. In the synced table in Base B, create a linked field to Base B Table 2
  2. In Base B, create an automation that triggers whenever a new record appears in the view in the synced table in Base B. Its action will be to paste the name of the new record into the linked field to Base B Table 2

That should do exactly what you need I believe. When X and X are created in Base A, only one record called X will be created in Base B Table 2.

To get “2”, “3”, etc, I’d create a Count field in Base B Table 2, as the automation would have linked both records called X from the synced table to that one record called X in Base B Table 2

See Solution in Thread

1 Reply 1
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Hi Alix, if I were you I’d:

1. In the synced table in Base B, create a linked field to Base B Table 2
  2. In Base B, create an automation that triggers whenever a new record appears in the view in the synced table in Base B. Its action will be to paste the name of the new record into the linked field to Base B Table 2

That should do exactly what you need I believe. When X and X are created in Base A, only one record called X will be created in Base B Table 2.

To get “2”, “3”, etc, I’d create a Count field in Base B Table 2, as the automation would have linked both records called X from the synced table to that one record called X in Base B Table 2