Help

Re: How to deal with this problem of duplicate entry where I use formulas to create a prefilled form URL

Solved
Jump to Solution
1389 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fahad_Sheji
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey, I have a table where I have a formula column that automatically generates an Airtable form link that prefills a few data such as name and email before sending it.

What I noticed is after someone fills out the form and submits it, a new row is created rather than Updating/appending the row I used to create the formula, does anyone know how to resolve this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

That way works. Or you can use RECORD_ID() in the formula that generates the prefilled url.

See Solution in Thread

6 Replies 6

Forms always create a new record. They never directly update an existing record. You can add in an automation to update the original record. I usually use a hidden prefill of the original record ID to make identifying the original record easier.

Yeah, that’s what I thought of doing. How did you add the original record id to the link? Was it by creating a new formula field that shows the record ID and adding that column as prefill?

That way works. Or you can use RECORD_ID() in the formula that generates the prefilled url.

Thanks, that worked for me.

Hey @kuovonne , there is a problem with the method you said where I use automation to update the original row.
I thought this method would not create a 2nd row when someone submits a response but it did anyway.

What could I do to delete the row that is created when someone submits a form and only have the original row or not create a row at all when someone submits a form but only update it through automations.

As I said before, a form will always create a new record. You can then add in an automation to update the original record. Deleting one of the two records automatically is a little harder because there is no “delete record” action, but it can be done with a scripting automation. You can search these forums for more details.