153 7
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Webs
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello - I have another frustrating issue with regard to using the output.set function.

I am able to access a list of records from a query using  output.set("Record List", query.recordIds), but as expected it only outputs a  list the record ID strings.

What I want the output.set list to output is a list of values from the query result.  Put differently, I am trying to build a list of records, and have the output  be a list of the cell values.

Once I have that list, I plan to pass it to a repeating group automation step.

I am not understanding what I need to do to prep output.set to output a list of cell values.

// query for every record in "User Accounts"
let table = base.getTable("User Accounts");
let view = table.getView("Unlinked Member Script");
let query = await view.selectRecordsAsync({fields:["User ID","User Login"]
});

//this outputs the list as record ID string;
output.set('Member List',query.recordIds);

//I want the output to be a list of User Login strings

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You'll need to loop through your record IDs, use `.getCellValue` on each of them, and push that into an array for use in your output.set

See Solution in Thread

7 Replies 7
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You'll need to loop through your record IDs, use `.getCellValue` on each of them, and push that into an array for use in your output.set

Thanks for the reply. I had a suspicion that was going to be the case. With regard to using air table scripts, what type of loop makes the most sense. ForEach, while, do, etc. I’m not a programmer by profession and it’s a challenge to wade through. All the JavaScript options and then layer on the quirkiness of air table scripting. 

Sho
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi @Webs,

For example, like this.

const memberList= query.records.map(record => ({
    "RecordID": record.id,
    "UserID": record.getCellValueAsString("User ID"),
    "UserLogin": record.getCellValueAsString("User Login")
}));
output.set("Member List",memberList);

There are many ways to loop through records, but no one best way for everyone. The best method for you is one that you understand and can maintain.

If you are interested in learning scripting, I suggest trying writing it several different ways, then see which method you like best. 

If you are not interested in learning scripting and just want a working automation, consider outputting only the list of record IDs. Then use a “Find Records” action inside the loop based on the record ID. You may need to create a new formula field that displays the record ID. You can then grab the cell values from the “find records” action. Sometimes I prefer this method even though I am comfortable writing code because with this method, changes to field names will not break the automation, and the fields will show up in the native dependency checker. 

Webs

Thank you for providing an example.  

Webs

This is helpful - especially the alternative solution you mentioned that is not sensitive to future changes to field names.  I hadn't thought about that.

Webs

For reference to anyone who stumbles upon this post, this is the script I ended up using.  So far it seems to be working well.  I used the for loop because it seemed to be the most straight forward way to do it.

// query for records in "User Accounts"
let table = base.getTable("User Accounts");
let view = table.getView("Unlinked Member Script");
let query = await view.selectRecordsAsync({fields:["User ID","User Login","Account Number"]
});

//create an array
let accountList = [];

//get a cell value and push to the array
for(let i = 0; i<query.records.length; i++){
accountList.push(query.records[i].getCellValue("Account Number"));
};

//set output to the new array
output.set("Member List", accountList);
console.log(accountList.length);