Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Re: JSON/Object Error Automation Between Airtable and Circle

455 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sonialeu
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello everyone,

Goal: When new or updated Record in Airtable --> Create Event in Circle

Airtable: https://airtable.com/app2Ndd4eV463aOsy/shrbaX4IOs9mGkQoP

Circle API: https://microconf-de57a9.circle.so/settings/api?page=1

There are 3 required fields to Map:

Name of Item --> Name of Event (Single Line field in Airtable)

Description --> Description of Event (Long Text field in Airtable)

Start Date Time --> I have tried both in Date Format and Also Single Line Field.

I have tried both Zapier and Integrately. In Zapier I get JSON error and in Integrately I get [object Object] error. I believe the Start Date Time is the error but I have tried multiple formats, ensuring it matches with Circle API and even tried converting to plain text and copied the exact same format as in Circle API (minus updating the year to the future). Not sure what I am missing. 

5 Replies 5
aslwedbaloex
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer
  1. Identify the Issue: Determine the nature of the JSON/Object error occurring between Airtable and Circle.

2. Check Data Formats: Ensure that the data formats in Airtable match the required format in Circle. Mismatches can cause errors.

3. Validate JSON Structure: Use a JSON validator tool to check for syntax errors in the JSON data being transferred.

4. Review API Documentation: Consult the API documentation for both Airtable and Circle to ensure correct API endpoint usage and data structure.

5. Update API Keys: Verify that the API keys used for integration are correct and have the necessary permissions.

6. Debug with Logs: Enable logging for both Airtable and Circle to capture error messages and identify the source of the problem.

7. Test Data Transfer: Run tests with a small set of data to pinpoint where the error occurs in the data flow.

8. Error Handling: Implement robust error like rip handling and retry logic to manage transient errors or failures in data transfer.

9. Consult Support: Reach out to the support teams for Airtable and Circle if you encounter persistent issues or need further assistance.

10. Use Integration Tools: Consider using third-party integration tools or platforms like Zapier or Integromat to simplify the connection and automate error handling.

11. Check for Ripoff Integrations: Be cautious of third-party services or plugins that claim to solve integration issues but might offer unreliable or ripoff solutions.

12. Document Solutions: Once resolved, document the steps taken to fix the error for future reference and to aid others who might encounter similar issues.

Philljones22
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

It sounds like you're trying to map fields from Airtable to Circle to create an event using automation tools like Zapier or Integrately, but you're encountering errors when trying to map the Start Date Time field.

Here's a step-by-step approach to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:
1. Ensure Date Format Compatibility:
Check the format required by the Circle API for the Start Date Time field. It might expect a specific date and time format (e.g., YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SSZ for ISO 8601 format).
Make sure that the date format in Airtable matches exactly. If the Circle API expects ISO 8601, ensure your Airtable date field outputs the date in that format.
2. Convert Date to Correct Format:
If your date in Airtable is in a different format, use a formula in Airtable to convert it to the required format. For example, you can use the DATETIME_FORMAT() function in Airtable to get the date in the correct format.
Example: DATETIME_FORMAT({Your Date Field}, 'YYYY-MM-DDTHH:mm:ssZ').
3. Check for Timezone Issues:
If Circle requires UTC time, ensure the date in Airtable is converted to UTC.
Airtable allows you to use the SET_TIMEZONE() function to adjust the timezone if needed.
4. Map Fields Correctly in Zapier or Integrately:
When setting up the automation, carefully map the fields. In Zapier, ensure that you’re using the correct field output format from Airtable.
Test your Zap with a specific example to see if the issue persists. You can use the "Test" function in Zapier to identify where the problem is occurring.
5. Inspect JSON Structure:
If you encounter a JSON error, it might be due to incorrect JSON formatting or an issue with how the data is being sent to Circle's API.
Use Zapier's Code step or a custom webhook to format the JSON manually if needed.
6. Handling Errors in Integrately:
In Integrately, if you get an [object Object] error, this typically means that the tool is receiving an object or an array of objects instead of a string or number.
Check to see if you can transform or parse the data within Integrately to ensure the correct format is being sent to Circle's API.
Example of a Correct JSON Payload for the Circle API:
json
Copy code
{
"name": "Event Name",
"description": "Event Description",
"start_datetime": "2024-08-20T15:00:00Z" // Example of ISO 8601 format
}
Additional Tips:
Test with Minimal Data: Start by sending minimal data (just the required fields) and see if the event gets created. Gradually add more fields to pinpoint the issue.
API Documentation: Double-check Circle's API documentation for any specific requirements or constraints regarding the date-time field.

emmasnow22
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

It sounds like you're running into formatting issues when trying to pass the Start Date Time to the Circle API through Zapier and Integrately. Here are a few things to check:

1. **Date-Time Format**: Ensure the Start Date Time is in the correct format that the Circle API expects. Common formats include ISO 8601 (`YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SSZ`). Double-check if the API requires a specific timezone or UTC.

2. **JSON Structure**: If you're getting a JSON error in Zapier, it may be due to incorrect nesting or syntax. Validate the JSON structure you're sending, and make sure that all key-value pairs are correctly formatted.

3. **Object vs. String**: The `[object Object]` error in Integrately suggests that the data might be passed as an object rather than a string. Ensure that you're sending the date-time as a string, especially if the API expects it in that format.

4. **Escape Characters**: Make sure any special characters (like colons, dashes, or slashes) in the date-time string are correctly escaped if necessary.

5. **Test with Static Data**: Try sending a static date-time string (not dynamically generated) to see if that resolves the error. This can help isolate whether the issue is with the date-time formatting or how it's being generated and passed.

6. **API Documentation**: Refer back to the Circle API documentation to ensure you're adhering to all the required fields and formats, including any less obvious settings like required headers or payload structure.

If these steps don't resolve the issue, you might consider logging the data being sent to see exactly what is being passed through at each stage.

I really like your answer. You explain it very well.

ssbstudent311
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have tried both Zapier and Integrately. In Zapier I get JSON error and in Integrately I get [object Object] error. I believe the Start Date Time is the error but I have tried multiple formats, ensuring it matches with Circle API and even tried converting to plain text and copied the download exact same format as in Circle API (minus updating the year to the future). Not sure what I am missing.