Help

Scripting - If I change a field name that has been referenced by a script, will the script break?

Topic Labels: Automations
Solved
Jump to Solution
460 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwag
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi guys,

Simple question really:

If I change the name of a field that has been referenced by a script in an automation, will the script break or will it update automatically?

I daren't test it and unfortunately I don't know how to script to create a test one.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, if an automation script has a hardcoded field name, changing that field name will break the script.

If you have an automation script that gets a field value using an input variable on the left side of the editor, and the field name is not used within the script itself, you should be okay.

As for testing things, I find that testing things is necessary for being a developer. It takes a bit of experience to know when and how to create a test environment, but having a test environment is very freeing. I can wreck all kinds of havoc in a test environment and not mess up production or customers.

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, if an automation script has a hardcoded field name, changing that field name will break the script.

If you have an automation script that gets a field value using an input variable on the left side of the editor, and the field name is not used within the script itself, you should be okay.

As for testing things, I find that testing things is necessary for being a developer. It takes a bit of experience to know when and how to create a test environment, but having a test environment is very freeing. I can wreck all kinds of havoc in a test environment and not mess up production or customers.

jwag
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks Kuovonne.

I hope to pick up some JS knowledge over time which will of course result in lots of testing and I'm sure you'll see more of me posting questions as I do.

Thanks for your help!