Help

Welcome to the Airtable Community! If you're new here, check out our Getting Started area to get the most out of your community experience.

Using an Automation to Copy Records from One Table to Another?

Topic Labels: Automations
268 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi,

In my quest to automate some off-boarding tasks I have had a hard time understanding how to do what I assume is a simple copy-paste. What I am trying to do is pull a set of pre-defined records from table C, into table B when I update a field in table A.

Are there any wizards out there that can help before I bang my head another 100 times?!

Setup:

Table A contains user records ready for triage.

Table B contains assigned tasks for the employee leaving. Grouped by that employee that is leaving.

Table C contains all the tasks that are available to be assigned.

Workflow:

Currently there are two types of off boarding - Software and Software + Tech.

When Table A is populated with an employee that is leaving the company, we triage whether it’s someone with only software access (Software) or someone that has software access and hardware like a computer or mobile device (Software + Tech).

What I would like to be automated is when the off-boarding type is updated with either Software or Software + Tech, the records and fields in Table C are copied into Table B with the employee that is leaving.

This allows me to add and remove software and their respective admin from Table C so that any current off boarding will only pull the software tasks that are relative to our company at that time.

Thanks in advance you brave souls :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

1 Reply 1

Hi Mike, yeap this is doable.

You’d link all the records in Table C to the newly created record in Table A, create a unique comma separated list, and paste that list into a linked field to Table B

Here’s a base where I’ve got something similar setup to get you going

(You can also hire me to set it up for you too!)