cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrorstad
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello!

Is there a way to make entries quickly with voice recognition?

I created a table where I can enter game statistics for my son's high school lacrosse team.  It works pretty well but the data entry is fast and furious.

My data table has Statistic, Player, Period (autofilled thanks to a suggestion from @Jan_Cape ), and time of possession (working on this one but it's a time of possession for each team each quarter).

I tried to keep up with the plays but it was too quick.  Is it possible to use dictation to make the entries quickly by voice into a mobile phone?

Something like, "new record, ground ball, player 6, submit"?

If that's not possible, I'm thinking entries without having to scroll, perhaps touch screen on an iPad?  With "share form" I realized that I can email the form for the upcoming quarter to the other stats parents so we can divide and conquer.  I just need a better data entry method to be able to keep up with the action.

Thank you for any suggestions you can think of.

Mike

Here's the 1st qtr form and data sheet filtered to the 4th qtr entries from last night's game.

mrorstad_0-1681818707572.png

mrorstad_1-1681819494275.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jan_Cape

Hi Mike,

I agree with Flywheel that voice recognition would probably be more trouble than it was worth and they've offered some good suggestions.  I tried a few things but plain old linked fields in the grid view seemed to be a lot quicker than using the form.  Attaching a video of what I had in mind. 

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
FlywheelConsult
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I think you're going to struggle to enter data quickly enough into Airtable to keep up. One consideration is that you record onto paper and then transfer into Airtable which is double the work but there is little that can compete with pen and paper in terms of the speed of data entry in a scenario like this. You might be able to OCR the pen and paper and then copy and paste or put the data into a csv in order to import it into Airtable.

Since it sounds like you have an iPad, another alternative is building shortcuts that live as homescreen buttons. I'm thinking a page of shortcuts dedicated to data entry for a game. Each button could be tied to a player and each of the possible actions they can take, so you only have a couple of taps then the shortcut sends the information to Airtable. Another alternative is to have common actions then you select the player. Depending on your needs, there's a lot of ways you could set it up to minimize the number of taps it takes to get the info into Airtable.

FlywheelConsult
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

To answer your initial question, you can use Siri to run shortcuts to enter the data, but I think you're going to struggle with reliability and speed, especially since it's probably loud at the games.

You might be able to use dictation and later convert that into a format you can import into Airtable, but you would probably end up spending a fair amount of time cleaning up that data.

Jan_Cape

Hi Mike,

I agree with Flywheel that voice recognition would probably be more trouble than it was worth and they've offered some good suggestions.  I tried a few things but plain old linked fields in the grid view seemed to be a lot quicker than using the form.  Attaching a video of what I had in mind. 

mrorstad

Jan, Thank you again!  I'll try a few things out.  That looks like it will be easier to enter with a grid like you suggest.

Best, Mike