Help

A ordered field of multiple linked fields types?

Topic Labels: Base design
544 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
derBingle
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m a pastor who uses Airtable to organize our church’s worship services. It’s become absolutely indispensable, an every day part of my workflow.

Currently my Worship base has four tables:

• Services
  • Songs
  • Sermons
  • Readings

The Services table has a one to one relationship with Sermons, and a many to many relationship with the rest.

Now in real life, every Service contains a mixture of these elements, in a particular order. For example…

1. Song
  2. Song
  3. Reading
  4. Song
  5. Sermon
  6. Song
  7. Reading

What I need is the equivalent of a multiple linked record field, but one that would allows for different record types. Other than storing JSON in a plain text field, I haven’t been able to come up with a good solution for this problem.

Would much appreciate any ideas!

1 Reply 1
derBingle
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Anybody got any ideas for this problem? I’ve been mulling it over in my mind for the past few days, still can’t come up with any better solution than an “order” field on the Services table that is a JSON array of objects with the “type” and “id” of every element. Like this:

[
  { "type": "Song", "id": "rec6EMDPRY1oGwodm" },
  { "type": "Reading", "id": "recE7DgFADKis3JnR" },
  { "type": "Sermon", "id": "recynLsUpVyEkIcmf" },
  ...etc
]

That would give me what I want to programmatically (used to automatically create visual media and set lists for the worship team), but right now I’m stuck creating it manually outside of the Airtable UI, which I’d rather not do if there’s another way around it.