Help

Re: Any way for an editor to login and view only their assigned tasks?

Solved
Jump to Solution
517 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kujain
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi there!

As I am fine tuning the AT bases for our team, I seem to be missing something rather important here and thought I would ask the community about it as it seems to be rather significant.

As we create tasks and assign to our team members, we would like the team members to login to AT and view those tasks. They can go into the various views but here they see all the tasks. This is fine as an overall project log. But if they then filter this list to show only those assigned to themselves, it seems to run the filter across ALL OTHER USERS viewing this page!

If that's the normal behaviour, how does an editor/team member see only their assigned tasks without impacting the rest of the teams' views? Almost all other PM tools I have tested with (Monday, Asana etc.) have a dashboard page of sorts that shows their open items etc. But a personalization filter on the existing views may be enough for our needs.

Please let me know as this is a rather important functionality to keep the information overload controlled for each team member I think and its weird that there's no indication of this in AT!

Thanks! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

There are 2 ways of doing this in Airtable:

OPTION #1: CREATE ADDITIONAL VIEWS

Create additional views in the left margin. Give the views different names like "Mark's View" or "Scott's View" or "Jim's View".

That way, each person can go to their own view and filter their own view, without messing up other people's views.

Each person can also turn their view from a "Collaborative" view into a "Personal" view, which prevents anybody else from messing up their view except for them.

I give a deep dive into views in my free Airtable training course, which you can take for free by signing up for a free 30-day trial with LinkedIn Learning. 

OPTION #2: USE INTERFACES

Interfaces work much better & much differently than views, because you only need to create ONE INTERFACE PAGE (instead of multiple different views).

You can have the interface page AUTOMATICALLY FILTER ITSELF to only show the user their own records and nobody else's records.

But it gets even better than that with interfaces.

Even if you DON'T pre-set a filter on your interface pages, a user is allowed to change the filter on an interface page and it will NOT AFFECT other people who are viewing the same interface page.

In other words, interface pages are ALWAYS unique to the user who is looking at that interface page.

Hope this helps! If you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld

See Solution in Thread

11 Replies 11
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

There are 2 ways of doing this in Airtable:

OPTION #1: CREATE ADDITIONAL VIEWS

Create additional views in the left margin. Give the views different names like "Mark's View" or "Scott's View" or "Jim's View".

That way, each person can go to their own view and filter their own view, without messing up other people's views.

Each person can also turn their view from a "Collaborative" view into a "Personal" view, which prevents anybody else from messing up their view except for them.

I give a deep dive into views in my free Airtable training course, which you can take for free by signing up for a free 30-day trial with LinkedIn Learning. 

OPTION #2: USE INTERFACES

Interfaces work much better & much differently than views, because you only need to create ONE INTERFACE PAGE (instead of multiple different views).

You can have the interface page AUTOMATICALLY FILTER ITSELF to only show the user their own records and nobody else's records.

But it gets even better than that with interfaces.

Even if you DON'T pre-set a filter on your interface pages, a user is allowed to change the filter on an interface page and it will NOT AFFECT other people who are viewing the same interface page.

In other words, interface pages are ALWAYS unique to the user who is looking at that interface page.

Hope this helps! If you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld

kujain

Hi ScottWorld

Thanks for that tip - interfaces are quite fun and customizable indeed! I had created one earlier but was not too sure of its use case. I now do understand more about how we can use it.

I was able to recreate the grid layout for the table in an interface and it does work as you said (auto-assigned user filter enabled etc.). However, just one issue - I have enabled editing the records from the interface (since I want the same functionality as we see in the grid table itself).  But here I am not able to customize it to include the option to create a new linked record when editing a record. Is this possible at all?

thanks!

Yes, that is possible. All of your options will show up in the right margin. I don't know what interface you're working with because they're all different, but you might need to click into the record details to add the new linked record there.

MF1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, Could somebody explain in more detail how to enable the auto-assigned user filter?When I go to filter on interfaces I can only see the normal options. Nothing that would make it dynamic! Thanks in advance!

MF1_0-1714745479144.png

There should be a "Current user" option:

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 11.59.39 AM.png

Sean_Lake1
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

here's a question.  In the interfaces, there is a visibility option in the fields:

2024-05-08_08h56_55.png

 However it doesn't seem to filter out everyone but whose name is listed.  In other words, I can see all those field, as well as others not listed in the Collab field.  

The idea is to only show those fields to whomever is listed.  Ed's rating field, only Ed and Julie should see those.  Sam's rating field(s), only Sam and Julie.  

In your list of collaborator names, you will see an option entitled "Current User". Choose that one.

Won't current user still allow anyone that is in the list to see all of the fields?  I need to be able to limit based the field:

Sam and Julie should be the only ones to see Sam's fields, Sean and Julie, should only be able to see Sean's, Ed and Julie should be the only ones to see Ed's fields(you see Julie is on on them all).

There is a collab field that lists just those four however.  

Sean_Lake1_0-1715206874839.png

Doesn't give the result at all, in fact Previewing as anybody, including Ed, his field doesn't show at all.