cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
folklore
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey Guys! Hoping everyone is well. 

I'm finding myself wanting to bulk-update records by a specific field and I'm wondering if this is possible? Does anyone know? Is there a script or anything?

Screenshot 2023-09-29 171423.png

See the two fields? "Goes out to" and "Status"? Both are single select and currently I need to update each record individually which is time-consuming on some of our tables. They can have hundreds of records that need updating. 

What I would loooooove to be able to do is select multiple records and update the statuses on the selected records in one action. 

Anyone have a way to do this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You can change one and then drag the lower right-corner of the cell downwards to change the rest.

You can also check out the Batch Update extension as well, but that updates all the records in an entire view. 

See Solution in Thread

5 Replies 5
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You can change one and then drag the lower right-corner of the cell downwards to change the rest.

You can also check out the Batch Update extension as well, but that updates all the records in an entire view. 

folklore

@ScottWorld  hero! That totally worked! So simple and so easy. Thank you!
Let me ask you another Q? 

Do you have a trick for bulk ending records if they aren't in a linear row? Like in the original image if I wanted to bulk edit rows 1-10 then also 14,17,19,22,26,32 - etc all to the same single select status. Can I make that work?

Unfortunately, Airtable doesn’t offer any native way of doing that. If you know JavaScript, you could probably write a custom JavaScript script to do it for you.

folklore

@ScottWorld  10-4. Was worth the question! 

Appreciate your help a ton!

You can use copy-paste for copy cell and paste to the entire column. Use filtering to define which records to update - records that not shown, will not be updated. Also use Grouping-Collapse all, when you update entire column by paste, only the most upper Expanded group will be updated

if you need to update, for example, second field according to first, if first="one", second must be "ten", if first ="two", second must be "twenty" etc.... (i didn't use numbers to shown approach for text)
Create temporary formula field, 

SWITCH({first},
"one","ten",
"two","twenty",
"three","thirty",
"")

//(the last "" is default for other values, can be omitted if you want to leave empty)

copy whole field into the {second} field. then remove temporary field