Help

Re: Can I link a record in one workspace to a record in another workspace?

2547 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laura_Kimball
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’d like to link a record in one workspace table to a record in another workspace table. Is this possible?

7 Replies 7
M_k
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi @Laura_Kimball

Are you referring to linking between two separate databases? If so, unfortunately this is not possible.

You can link between tables in one database, though.

Hope this helps.

Mary Kay

If this solved your question, as best as it can, can you check off the solution option, so that it can help other users.

Thank you.

Hi Laura - let’s first make sure we’re on the same vernacular page. By “workspace table” do you actually mean a “base” that contains a table linking to another entirely different table in an entirely different base?

Note that workspaces contain bases; bases contain tables; tables contain records. As such, there isn’t really a concept in Airtable known as “workspace table”. In the following diagram, the red link lines are not possible as far as I know in the Airtable feature set. However, using the API, all link lines are possible.

Heather_Hale
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I'd like to do this, too: link workspaces.

I see this thread is from three significant years ago 😉 so I'm scouring the threads looking to see if Airtable has created a solution or workaround to this.

Reason Being/Use Case: I maintain a master database of the lay of the land in Hollywood and don't necessarily want to share that outside my own private sphere BUT I don't want to have to keep recreating/parsing out bits of that wheelhouse for clients, partners, students, readers of my books, etc. I'd PREFER to be able to link RELEVANT companies, people, film, TV, books and other content comps, etc. outwards from my own personal Mother Ship Workspace. 😉 Is this possible? Otherwise, the satellites'll just become instantly stale dated and ticking clock irrelevant upon sharing/issuance (which isn't easily facilitated).

Bueller?

Heather_Hale
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Still searching for the same solution myself.

This might help: https://www.airtable.com/guides/scale/sync-data-into-airtable

OR: https://support.airtable.com/docs/multi-source-syncing 

Reading, testing, figuring out...

Stephw
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Also looking for a solution to this issue.  We have different bases for different teams across our workspace (our org) and each team has different needs in their bases and uses them for different things (e.g. Comms has a base that focuses on marketing campaigns; Event team focuses on events) and some of the tasks / to dos / information across those bases need to be linked so Airtable can become our "source of truth" w/o duplicating work.  Would really LOVE to be able to do this.  Thanks @Heather_Hale for the links above.  Will also do some testing.

Heather_Hale
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

You’re welcome @Stephw !

Happy to hop on a zoom to share specific insights! 🙂

Stephw

Thanks, Heather... got it sorted 🙂