Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hospodi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I need a deep dive course in Airtable.
My immediate task is to
Take a client list (that is imported from google forms)
Then add jobs to that client
Then have a another table in the client base that is materials
Then be able to make a shopping list for each job
By going to the material list and multi selecting the job (which is been rolled up from the jobs field in the client table)

And while we’re at it, I need to record each site visit per job per person so it would be great to have the multi select list available for the after action report

Currently using an outliner or a moleskin notebook harhar
Seriously I would pay somebody to tutor me
Thanks

8 Replies 8
hospodi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey there!

Moving from a notebook to Airtable can definitely help!

I would recommend tables for each of them and bring it all together with linked record fields, not multi-select.

Clients
Jobs
Site Visits
Shopping List
Materials

2021-12-30_14h21_27

6 - Interface Innovator

Is the link record field gonna be faster than multi select when you’re in the field and the Internet might be weaker? By the way thanks for the intelligent response!

Will specifying the employee and his hours
also be a new table that’s gone with a link record?
I guess I got to really learn how to get the most out of link records as that looks like the main pathway here that I just am not yet familiar with

Looks like I’d need another table with
employees
and another table of employee hours

A linked record field is an amped up version of multi-select. You can still select from multiple records.

Also, a multi-select is really meant for using as a list of common options, like ‘To do’, ‘Completed’, etc. It’s not meant for ever-changing options like your job names, materials, etc.

Will it be faster with weaker internet? meh, probably not. But again, structuring it because of slower internet will cause you trouble down the road because your base will be out of control with those selections.

Also, Airtable does not have offline mode, so you need to always have some sort of connection.

Yes, you will need another table for Employees and Hours. Do these need to be linked to your Jobs and Site Visits, I guess?

My question is what else are you trying to do? It sound like everything needs to be in 1 base, but if there’s something else, it might be structured different.

6 - Interface Innovator

I think I’m trying to hire you!

Right now I don’t think there’s anything else

I just need to take the client list
Imported from google forms

Assign them a job

make notes about each site visit
per job
per employee
for billing
that’s the action report (inc mat used)
And the employees also fill out an airtable form that says what they did at each site visit

Finally keep track of what’s needed for the future that’s recommended actions and materials
That’s also inputted in the airtable after action report By each employee

By the way your profile is awesome! I’ll devote a couple of hours to read everything you’ve written and buy everything your company makes

Yeah you bet! Yeah you can import from a CSV or copy paste.

You can definitely add a form to your Site Visits table.

Linked records, lookups, and roll-up fields will be your friend to link items together and to view it from various tables.

Thank you and hope it helps!