cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick_Foster
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi!

I’m using AirTable as a deal flow management platform for a fund and had two quick questions I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to:

1. I created a company intake form for potential portfolio companies that works great, except for the “Contacts” part it only allows for us to populate from contacts in the existing Contacts tab or to just write something in. Is there any way for someone to fill out the Contacts part of the form and for it to populate in a different tab than the form is for?

2. Is there a way to give people just viewing/editing permissions for specific records? For example, if we have people who are part of the deal team for some companies and not for others only letting them see those specific ones.

Hope that makes sense - thanks so much!

2 Replies 2

Welcome to the community, @Nick_Foster! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

No. Forms in Airtable are views, and each view is tied to a specific table. For more robust form behavior, you’ll need to investigate third-party form tools (JotForm, TypeForm, etc.) and integrate them with Airtable. Most integrations happen with the help of tools like Zapier or Integromat, but if you’re not the hands-on type, you might consider the On2Air:Forms tool by @openside, which can connect JotForm to Airtable in very deep and detailed ways.

My understanding of Airtable’s permissions is somewhat basic, but I know that record-level permissions don’t exist. The closest you can get within Airtable itself is probably with a combination of collaborator permissions and personal views. However, there are some third-party tools that can help in that regard. If I remember correctly, Stacker is one that I’ve seen @ScottWorld mention on a few occasions. There may be others, but most of my time is focused on database design, formulas, and scripting, so I’ll leave those suggestions up to Scott and others who spend more time in that space.

Hi @Nick_Foster:

Yes, @Justin_Barrett is correct in all of his suggestions above!

Currently, the only way (that I’m aware of) to get record-level permissions is with Stacker. After a user logs in, they will only be allowed to see the records that you want them to see.

Stacker is a pretty amazing platform with dozens of excellent features. It also adds a lot of other cool security functionality as well, such as the ability to restrict views & tables & fields based on users.