Help

Re: How to change the position of a "blank" group when applying grouping to a table?

889 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex_Rosenfeld2
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

When I group a table based on a single select field, it seems to position the “blank” group, i.e. the group of records with nothing selected for this field, at the top.

How can I change this so that this group is instead positioned at the bottom, i.e. after the groups of records with something selected for this field?

4 Replies 4
KVachon
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey Alex,

A blank field is considered to be at the beginning of the alphabet. You can sort the records in “highest to lowest” and the blank fields will fall to the bottom.

An alternative is to automatically write a placeholder in any record fields that are blank using automations to control the order a bit more.

Also, 2 other grouping tools include: (1) collapsing the group or (2) simply filtering out the blank records.

Additionally, (3) regarding the placeholder that @KVachon mentioned, if you’re grouping by a single-select field, you can just create a blank single-select option and assign that blank option to any blank records. Single-selects are grouped in the exact order that you manually specify within the single-select options.

Thanks, @KVachon and @ScottWorld. Can a blank option be created for multiple select fields, too?

You could, but you’d need to clear it out (i.e. overwrite it) when selecting a different value for that field.