Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

How to remove Shadow Users from Duplicated & Transferred Base (only appear on Kanban View)

Topic Labels: Admin Base design
427 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kwaller
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a base template that was duplicated from a separate workspace (WS-A), reworked and overhauled in the dev workspace (WS-DEV). On the original base WS-A were two previous users who had workspace-level permissions THERE, but zero shared access on the dev workspace where the duplicated version was developed into its new form. The duplicated base was NOT shared with those two users from WS-A, and they do not appear as users in that workspace (WS-DEV). Once the new base was ready to move into its next production workspace environment (WS-C), those users do not appear in the User type field for assignments in the dropdown. So far so good.

HOWEVER when I create a Kanban view stacked by the User (Assignee) field, those users DO appear, like shadow options. I'm not able to delete them from options in the User field type, they do not appear as having the base or workspace shared with them on WS-C, etc.

See screenshots.

Admin help to resolve appreciated, thank you.

4 Replies 4
Saravanan_009
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Here’s a step-by-step approach to resolving this issue:

Check Field Type and Linked Records:
Ensure the User field is correctly set up as a linked record field pointing to the correct user table or base in WS-C.

Verify if the field is pulling from a cached list or an old record set.
Clear Field Options:
If the User field is set to allow multiple records, try clearing out any old or outdated user data from the field options. This might involve manually removing old entries or resetting the field configuration.

Reconfigure Field Settings:
Edit the User field settings in WS-C. You may need to reconfigure or refresh the settings to ensure that it only displays users with access to the current workspace.

Check for Linked Records:
Inspect if there are any linked records or references from WS-A that might be affecting the field. Sometimes, duplicated bases can retain links to old user records.

Refresh Workspace and User List:
Log out and log back into Airtable or refresh your browser to ensure you’re seeing the most up-to-date list of users and permissions.

Contact Airtable Support:
If the issue persists, it may be worth reaching out to Airtable support for a deeper investigation. Provide them with screenshots and details of the problem for more specific guidance.

Following these steps should help you address the issue of unexpected users appearing in your dropdown list.

That is indeed strange! If it's only appearing on the Kanban view I'd assume it's some sort of bug that needs to be reported.

If you want to utilize the Kanban view, I'd toggle on the "Hide Empty Stacks" option. Found at the bottom when choosing which field to stack by

Sistema_Aotearo_0-1723077923194.png

Justin Ng
Programme Coordinator at Sistema Aotearoa
https://www.sistemaaotearoa.org.nz/
kwaller

There is no linked table to users either here, or in the original base. The original just listed possible users from those with access to it. It did not even have a field for users/assignees. That is something new for this version. When the original was duplicated and then moved to a separate workspace, those users were not granted access. I cannot update the field settings because they are not part of the field settings; they ONLY appear on the kanban view and yes, while I can hide all blank stacks there, it could be alarming for a client. Please see screenshot of User field options (neither of the two shadow users included there to be able to remove)

True, but discovering shadow users listed--even if they are not active--could be alarming to a client. I have the stacks hidden currently but would like a more permanent solution. Thanks Justin!