Help

Is there a way to share Primary field names?

Topic Labels: Base design
558 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aaron_Preston
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have 2 seperate tables in my base, 1 shows job descriptions, drawings, opperatives etc. the 2nd is the finances for that job.

Currently i have to type the primary field in both tables (same name), is there a way that if i type the primary field in one it autimatically fills the other tables primary field?

According to the help it isnt currently possible to do it that straight forward, does anyone know a work around i could potentially use?

Thank you

3 Replies 3

It sounds like you want to be using different views instead of different tables:

However, if you’re certain that you need different tables (which doesn’t sound right to me), then you can use the linked record field to link a record from one table to another table:

My free Airtable training course also covers views and linked records:

Aaron_Preston
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

thank you for the response that will solve one problem. The main reason why i wanted seperate tables is because having it all on one made it feel very cluttered, if for instance i want to look at just the finances i have to scroll all the way to the end of the field.

So i was proposing to have one table for the job information and a seperate for the finances but keeping them with the same primary field.

basically splitting the same table into 2 tables if you get me.

No, that is incorrect. You don’t have to do this. That’s what different views are for. You can hide the fields that you don’t want to see on different views. So if you have a finance view, you can be looking at just the financial fields.

Don’t do this. This is what views are for.

I would check out my Airtable training course.