Help

Select a single item from a choice of three that were picked from many.

625 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BurkeP
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We want our guests to ore-order menu choices by selecting one starter, main and desert from three choices in each category that have been picked from an extensive list of menu items.  I have a table with the menu items.  Another table has the meals with the date, venue and three offerings from the three categories.  Now, for each guest (all guests are in another table) I want to select a starter, main and desert from the three that are being offered by the venue.  From this information the venue will get a list of all guests and their menu choices and and each guest will receive  a confirmation of their selections.  So far I have the three choices in the meal table but can't figure out how to select one of each from the choices in each category for each guest.  I hope the attached diagram illustrates the issue.

2 Replies 2

Create 3 single-select fields, one for each category: starter, main, dessert.

To learn more about single-select fields and lots of other special fields in Airtable, you may want to take my free Airtable training course, which you can take for free by signing up for a trial membership with LinkedIn Learning: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/learning-airtable/ 

If I were you I'd set it up so that I had 3 tables:
1. Guests
2. Menu Items
3. Meal <> Guests

In "Menu Items", I'd create views to display menu items by their category (Starter, Main, Dessert), and in "Meal <> Guests" I'd create one linked field per item type to "Menu Items" so that selecting stuff was easy

This would result in something like the following, which should do what you're looking for!

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 12.30.52 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 12.30.31 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 12.30.27 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 12.30.19 PM.png

Link to base