Help

Tracking Employee onboarding for multiple new employees, some with different sets of tasks than others

Topic Labels: Base design
1474 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BriShny
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi - I came across a thread from a few years ago regarding Employee Onboarding and figured there may be new and improved ways to do this.

I have many new employees starting, of slightly different types for the same team (for example, Project Manager, Product Designer, and Manager). Each of them have most of the same onboarding tasks, but there are several unique tasks that are specific to the role.

I want to enable a central list of all onboarding tasks which are relevant to each position type. Some tasks would apply to all three types of roles, some to two, and some to only one of the types of roles.

Then, when a new employee joins, I would select the role (position) of the employee on the team, and it would automatically show them all of the onboarding tasks that are associated to them. And they would be able to update each of those tasks’ statuses, specific to that particular employee. And it’s THAT point which I can’t figure out… is this possible to allow for per-user task status updates on tasks that are essentially shared amongst all other new employees of the same role (position) type?

Ultimately, I want to give them the kanban view of just their own onboarding tasks, and allow them to move their tasks to new columns (statuses) on the kanban board as they progress through their onboarding tasks.

I can do all of that for ONE employee using ONE base, but that is more or less like this template which doesn’t accomplish what I am trying to do - which is manage a central location for many new employees and track all of their progress in one place (and allow THEM to track their own progress too).

Any thoughts / ideas?

Thanks for your help!

2 Replies 2
BriShny

Just circling back on this with the hope that someone can offer up a suggestion as to how this may work.

I set up an example base with three tables:

1. New HIres
  2. Tasks
  3. Position Types

My goals now:
[1] Create a way that each of the new hires can use a view that is specific to them, which lists only their own tasks, AND so that they can track when each of their own tasks is completed
[2] Make it possible to continue adding new hires over the coming weeks, each of whom will be automatically assigned the relevant tasks based upon their Position Type.

I’m assuming that would require a unique entry for every NewHire-Task relationship, along with a newly assigned Status field for each of those unique combinations. But I’m not sure. I’m also unsure how to assign tasks en masse to a new hire based on their position type - so that they get those individualized status fields per task. (This also allows for management to look across the whole team to see ALL of the tasks completed and outstanding.)

I am attaching some screenshots of the example base I have set up to test out the approach on this.

Thank you for your help!

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 6.53.59 PM Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 6.54.16 PM Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 6.54.07 PM

Welcome to the community, @BriShny! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: I’ve got some good news and bad news:

Good news: this is completely possible, and I’ve set up such a system before.

Bad news: it takes a nontrivial amount of time to set up, mainly because it involves writing custom code that must be tailored to your base design and use preferences.

If you have a budget for setting this up, there are lots of people who could help you (I would normally be one of them, but I’m at my max currently). If you want, I can move this thread to the #developers:work-offered category, where you’re likely to get several offers. Let me know how you’d like to proceed.