556 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zim_One
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi all, I realized that for Join Field (previously called Foreign Key field), regardless of whether it is defined as only allowing single or multiple records, is plainly exposed through the Block API as a ‘Multi-Record-Join’ FieldType and there’s no meta data available from the FieldOption as well.

That creates many problems trying to handle the join field correctly. Ideally the field type should expose that difference (just like you wouldn’t call Single-Select field Multi-Select). But at least, is there anywhere we get some meta data exposed in the fieldOption or fieldConfig?

Great if anyone knows what to do. Or if one of the API team member stumble upon this and take the feedback. Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Correct. The UI switch that controls whether or not a user can link to multiple records in a target table is technically only cosmetic; i.e. it only controls the linking behavior when a user is creating links within Airtable’s user interface. It doesn’t change the actual field type, which can always support multiple linked records, and if active it won’t prevent more than one link from being created programmatically (e.g. via the API, scripting apps, automations, etc). Because of that, it’s difficult to say whether or not the Airtable dev team views that particular feature as a necessary item to include in the field’s metadata. If you’d like to make a case for it, I suggest writing to Airtable support directly. While they do monitor this community forum, direct feedback about stuff like this is a more reliable way to get your concerns in front of the team.