Help

Regarding Airtable API key deprecation, and the use of external services in scripts and automations

Solved
Jump to Solution
2247 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
M0rd0r
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello,

I have a question regarding the Airtable API key deprecation, and was hoping someone could clarify/confirm. Basically I am wondering whether this change will affect us, and whether we need to make adjustments. I've searched the forum, but I did not find an answer. Maybe this is a newbie/misplaced question. If so, I'm sorry.

I have a base today where we use the Google Distance Matrix API to retrieve info from the Google API. We have no external services connected to the Airtable base. If we go into the "Developer Hub" and look at "API Key" the list is blank. That is true for "Personal access tokens" and "OAuth integrations" as well.

The Distance Matrix API uses an API Key, which we have created through google. We use this key when Airtable connects to the Distance Matrix API to get info. This is done in scripts and automations, and we use the function
"await remoteFetchAsync(txturlrequest)" to interact with the API through the scritps. In the automation we use "await fetch(txturlrequest)". After retrieving the info we want, we filter
the tables in Airtable, and update the values using updateRecordAsync.

From what I understand, the API key deprecation affects how other services connects to the base, and not the other way around. Therefore, I have assumed that I won't need to do any modifications in Airtable. I however got cold feet the last days, so I wanted to post this into the community to get it confirmed or clarified if I have misunderstood something. If I need to do modifications, I need to start as fast as possible.

I hope I have provided sufficient info, please let me know if you need any additional info to answer my question.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Morten

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You are correct. The API key is only used for external apps (such as Make) to communicate with Airtable using Airtable’s REST API, not Airtable communicating with external apps using those external apps’ REST APIs.

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You are correct. The API key is only used for external apps (such as Make) to communicate with Airtable using Airtable’s REST API, not Airtable communicating with external apps using those external apps’ REST APIs.

Hey Scott,

Lovely, thanks for the rapid reply.

Have a nice day!