730 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laura_Gluhanich
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi – I may be in the wrong place, but if this is possible, am guessing it will be a script.
I have a single multi-select field with 450 options like:
United States, Automotive, P&L, Canada, Manufacturing

My team has gone through and categorized these into 3 new fields which would be:

1. United States, Canada
  2. Automotive, Manufacturing
    3 P&L

We have about 1500 records tagged in the first way. Is there a script I could run, that would redistribute those tags from the single field to the three fields, without creating new options?

Please let me know if this should be elsewhere. I searched for similar requests and didn’t find this. Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community, @Laura_Gluhanich!

Great news for you — you can do this in a matter of seconds, with no scripting required.

Simply duplicate your field 2 times, so this field shows up a total of 3 times in your database. Be sure to choose the option to “duplicate cells” as well. (After duplicating the fields, you can rename the fields to more accurately describe what you want each of them to represent.)

Then, for each of these 3 fields, customize the field & delete the multiple-select options that you no longer want to appear for that particular field.

After you save the field, Airtable will automatically go through all of your records and remove the data from the records that no longer match any of the remaining multiple-select options.

Hope this helps! If this answers your question, could you please mark this comment as the solution to your question? This will help other people who have a similar question. :slightly_smiling_face:

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community, @Laura_Gluhanich!

Great news for you — you can do this in a matter of seconds, with no scripting required.

Simply duplicate your field 2 times, so this field shows up a total of 3 times in your database. Be sure to choose the option to “duplicate cells” as well. (After duplicating the fields, you can rename the fields to more accurately describe what you want each of them to represent.)

Then, for each of these 3 fields, customize the field & delete the multiple-select options that you no longer want to appear for that particular field.

After you save the field, Airtable will automatically go through all of your records and remove the data from the records that no longer match any of the remaining multiple-select options.

Hope this helps! If this answers your question, could you please mark this comment as the solution to your question? This will help other people who have a similar question. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks so much! Makes sense and I should have realized based on the combining I’ve done the past few days :slightly_smiling_face: