Help

Re: Standard way to prevent formula injections when using AirTable `select` and `filterByFormula`

2946 8
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Luciano_Mammino
5 - Automation Enthusiast

NOTE I originally wrote this in a rush hoping that the information provided here would be sufficient to start a conversation. It turned out it was not. Please refer to this comment below for a better explanation (and A DEMO) of the issue: Standard way to prevent formula injections when using AirTable `select` and `filterByFormula` - #15 ...

Hello,

When using your APIs to get data dynamically from a table, is there any secure way to handle formulas that need to contain user input data?

How can we avoid a user trying to alter the formula by crafting an injection (like a SQL injection but for your formula language)?

I couldn’t find anything in the docs, nor any utility in your (JavaScript) SDK…

So far I had to come up with my own escape function…

In case you need an example, this is my formula:

{code} = 'someCodePassedByUser'

If the user passes the following code

' >= 0 & '

I end up with

{code} = '' >= 0 & ''

which is always TRUE!

Considering that injections are the 3rd item in the OWASP security top10, I would consider this a VERY BIG SECURITY FLAW for people using airtable as a backend. :skull_and_crossbones: :skull_and_crossbones: :skull_and_crossbones:

You should mention this in the docs and provide a standard way to sanitize user input for formulas.

A function built in the JavaScript SDK would be ideal…

36 Replies 36
Luciano_Mammino

I think we can debate as long as we want whether this use case is realistic or not or whether airtable is suitable for this use case or not, but i don’t think that debate really helps anyone, except maybe our egos, @Bill.French

As long as airtable offers apis, people will end up using them in all sorts of ways (especially true for a product that has been long enough in the market and with so many users).

Security is everyone responsibility and it’s one of those things where it’s better to be safe than sorry.

I’ll do my best to report this to the documentation team.

Thanks for indulging me in the conversation

Regards

I agree in theory. In practice I think people will take as much as they can get.

I don’t have one. But I think people who don’t want to be developers should take care in who they hire as developers, and people who want to be developers need to be in environments where they can learn what they do not know they need to learn.

Very true.

Also true.

Thank you.

You’re welcome. Anytime I have a conversation that involves Bill, I learn something.

We can all agree that if there’s a way to achieve something with an API, well-intentioned users and developers will explore these pathways. But, this is no different than using a chain saw. There are many things it can do; safe, responsible use ultimately falls to the consumer. If you’re not certain that you can operate it, hire a professional, but do not place the burden of safety 100% on the manufacturer.

Airtable has a duty to provide a security context for access to its data. I believe they have and continue to meet this obligation with modern and appropriate techniques. They do not have a duty to provide 100% of the education required to build everything possible with an API in any or many languages. And any attempt to do so may encourage people to use it in ways it was probably never intended to be used.

This is your first post in this community. It contains skulls, crossbones, and an indirect indictment of Airtable’s security. Whose ego did your opening statement serve exactly? :winking_face:

For the records, I did not mean to offend anyone’s sensibility in any way. Nor I intended to attack or belittle Airtable as a product and as a company in any way. So, sincere apologies if my post came across in some negative way and sincere apologies if anyone got offended by my writing style. That was not my intent.

With that being said, I hope people can leave out the form and focus on the substance of this thread.

It’s OK if we don’t agree on the severity of the issue here, but there is definitely an injection threat when using select with filterByFormula and user-provided data.

If we managed to do our little part to make things better against this threat, even by a little bit, we might have done something good with our time…

For me, when the manufacturer markets its chainsaw as a tool that is easy for-non professionals to use, even if the customer has never used power tools before and doesn’t know where to go to hire a professional, that manufacturer has a higher burden to educate the consumer than the manufacturer who markets to only professional contractors.

If you continue to use Airtable, you will see that most threads in this community are not nearly as heated as this one. Most people here are friendly, helpful, and passionate about Airtable. Soft skills can be as difficult to learn and practice as the more technical ones, especially if they don’t come naturally. (I am guilty of this too!)

Luke_Nimtz
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is a huge security issue with Airtable and the dismissal of it is baffling. I will suggest my org gets off Airtable as quickly as possible.

I am baffled by your post. It appears like you only joined this forum a few minutes before posting this. The solution to the issue in this thread is also very simple, with two solutions already posted.

Why join a forum in order to post that you are leaving the platform? Why leave a platform due to a perceived security risk that even the original poster admits is not a flaw specific to Airtable?

If you are trying to make a statement to Airtable, prior comments in this thread state that anyone from Airtable is unlikely to read this thread. If you have an issue with Airtable, you can vote with your wallet, or you can contact support. Both of those actions are more likely to be noticed by Airtable compared to posting in this thread.

I think I’ve made it clear that we both agree the risk of compromised access to data in any platform is high when you do things that allow it to be high. Please stop saying we don’t agree. We agree. It’s bad, and my recommendation 3500 words ago was don’t do that. :winking_face:

If you take that a step further and expose a web app that allows dynamic query construction without a security context in the web app itself, you’ve elevated the risk. If you comingle records intended for multiple classes of users, expose them to an API, and then fail to wrap such access with a security layer singling out the specific class intended, you are creating an even greater risk that class (a) gets a look at class (b’s) data. You don’t have to use filterByFormula to create this additional security risk.

Initially, you framed the narrative as a broad security flaw related to Airtable. You have since agreed that it’s not really Airtable; it’s any poorly designed web app. I think we both agree that the security architecture of web apps that lean on APIs from ANY platform matters greatly, and the complexities and risks of getting it wrong are far greater than simply focusing on filterByFormula.

Where I think we do not agree is the very premise of using filterByFormula in use cases external to the Airtable platform;

• I think it’s no different than the risks posed by javascript eval() and should be avoided if at all possible. I have found many ways to do this, and I tend to believe the best part in a machine is no part at all. More parts lead to a greater risk of breakage and a whole host of problems. filterByFormula is simply one that exacerbates the likelihood of a security issue, but it also has the propensity of easily creating unanticipated queries which fail, and this is especially the case when allowing user input to craft such filters.

• You’ve made it clear that filterByFormula is fine if you undertake the challenge of properly escaping various characters. Some developers have no qualms about using eval() as well.

Both our viewpoints are a matter of engineering preference and ironically resolve deep in the shadow of a #no/low-code platform. Since you clearly understand this problem well, why don’t you just build a better SDK? What’s stopping you from showing Airtable and the user community a better approach?

If you agree to stop sensationalizing this as an Airtable security flaw, I’ll agree to like your future posts where you frame narratives that are reasoned and helpful to API users without creating unnecessary fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Deal?

You and you org don’t need to leave Airtable. If you switch to another provider, chances are that they will have similar security threats.

Also, the dismissal is not by Airtable, but only by some users in the community. I reached out to Airtable support on other channels and I am sure they’ll be interested in discussing this…

Finally, keep in mind that what we are debating here is not whether airtable is secure or not, but if airtable could do more to mitigate the risk of users shooting themselves in the leg while using certain features of the platform…

OK… Bill, honestly I don’t know what to tell you. I already apologised for my “sensationalized” writing style. I made it clear that I just wanted to highlight what I still believe to be a severe threat for Airtable users. If you are still upset with me and keep attacking me, I doubt there’s anything else I can do for you!

@kuovonne here is also questioning why the debate got so heated here. So maybe I can give you one last “Sorry” if I stepped into your own personal space, triggered some bad memory, undermined your position here, or something like that. None of that was my intent!

You just keep remarking your points and telling me that my form was wrong and unnecessary. I don’t think that helps anyone at this point… We all got it and I apologized!

Now, I believe this is an open community and that you are not a gatekeeper here. Therefore, I don’t need to make a deal with you if I want to keep posting here. If I have something else to add here or in another thread I will do it, regardless if I have your personal approval or not. So thank you, but no thank you!

I expressed my points here in one way or another and I have nothing else to add to this post. So I’ll leave the stage to you now. Cheers!

PS: A big thanks to @kuovonne for engaging in an open and helpful way, I should have said that earlier!