Help

Re: 'Update' method of Airtable cURL API updates the given single field's value, but clears others' values

Solved
Jump to Solution
866 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kartik
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi! :wave:
I am using the PUT version of the Airtable Update records API.

I have four columns/fields, Name , Contact , Attachment Image & Active.
Now I call the API to update just the Attachment Image column, with the below API body :

It updates the Attachment Image field’s value successfully, but clears all other fields. The record snapshots (before and after) look like -

• Before -

• After -

So, how can I make the API update that cell ONLY, and touch nothing else?

I hope you understand my query - Any help is appreciated! :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

What is your development platform? Can you send a PATCH request as a custom cURL request in your development platform?

If not, you may need to resort to the workaround of doing a read of all the fields in the record, and include them in your PUT request.

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4

You need to use a PATCH request instead of a PUT request.
:slightly_smiling_face:

If this answers your question, please mark this post as the solution. Otherwise, could you please give a bit more details?

Hi, @kuovonne! :smiley_cat:

Un-fortunately, we do not have a PATCH kind of request in our development platform - only POST, PUT, GET & DELETE requests.

Any other way around?
Thanks!

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

What is your development platform? Can you send a PATCH request as a custom cURL request in your development platform?

If not, you may need to resort to the workaround of doing a read of all the fields in the record, and include them in your PUT request.

That would definitely work :smiley_cat:

Thanks a lot! :tada:
P.S. My platform is thunkable.com - do check it out! :slightly_smiling_face: