1284 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TransformX
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if there’s a way I can make my airtable cells clickable. I know there’s a button field but with that, I can’t have different labels for each row. Basically, I want the cells in each row to be redirected to the respected detail page for that cell.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

12 Replies 12

Hello and welcome to the community @TransformX!

I have a few questions about your use case to make sure I understand what would work best for your workflow. Would the URL field accomplish what you are looking to do? Also, when you say “detail page” for each cell are you referring to the fully expanded record?

Let me know if I can help provide any more information, and if this helped answer your question please mark it as the solution :white_check_mark: .

Hey, I want a URL to be mapped with each cell. E.g. Say I have got a record name Apple then I want the Apple cell to be clickable and want it to redirect it to the Apple detail page(which I’ve created myself through coding). Basically, I’m using Airtable as a Database and also embedding base on my website.

Also, is there a way that buttons redirect to the same tab instead of a new tab on each click? (as it’s quite annoying for a user to deal with multiple tabs)

Hey @TransformX!

So it sounds like the URL field would work then—if you’d like each record to be associated with a URL(assuming each record, or row of your database, maps to a particular URL)? The button field is bit more dynamic with the URLs you can create- and it sounds like it could be a good match for your use case with it’s ability to open a new URL based on the record being clicked.

Button and URL fields will always open in a new tab, unfortunately there is no way to turn this off at the moment.

Let me know if I can provide anymore info on any of the above, and I hope this helps! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey, thanks a lot for your answer. You’re right that the URL field would be a better option but I don’t want the user to be able to see the URLs but just a string. For Example, I want the word “apple” to be shown as the record but on click, it should redirect to a specific URL such as “www.apples.com/1”. In short, I need button functionality but with different labels for each row. Is that possible?

Oooh good question! Unfortunately, though you can dynamically change the underlying URL for a button, we do not currently support using different labels for different records using the button field. So you could label the button something like “See website”, but I totally understand that isn’t what you were looking for. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause for your workflow.

Would a rich text field work? Rich text fields can display hyperlinks.

Oh my goodness, I feel like a silly goose for over thinking it- thank you so much @kuovonne! :star2: That hopefully would work for your use case @TransformX?

TransformX
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yeah thanks @kuovonne, that solves half of the problem but the main issue is I don’t want my customer to get annoyed by 15 to 20 tabs (as the link opens in a new tab), Can I do something through scripts to be able to open URLs in the same tab on my website?

Scripting will not help with opening urls in the same tab in the browser.

Alright, so what’s the possible workaround? Please consider removing target="_blank" from the embed views option as it’s quite basic but very important from user experience point of view.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure there is a workaround at this point. I believe this was a design choice for Airtable’s links to ensure users didn’t accidentally frequently navigate away when clicking through their records.

I’ll pass along the feedback to the team though—thank you for the product suggestion.