736 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Markus_Wernig
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

In my example, the fields “Name” and “Code” should start with the exact same 10 digits. I’d like to create a formula that compares the first 10 digits of both fields and displays a message if they match. Since the content of the “Name” field gets entered independently from the “Code” field, I’d like to use this formula as a way to check for errors.

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 5.37.29 PM

I started with the following formula:

IF(
AND(
REGEX_MATCH(Name,’\w{10}\b’),
REGEX_MATCH(Code,’\w{10}\b’)
),
‘Codes Match!’,’’)

I am realizing now, this formula only looks for 10 digits, regardless of content. Not good.
How do I specify that the first 10 digits of both fields have to be identical to display a positive result?

Is using LEFT(Name,10) and LEFT(Code,10) the right way to go? If yes, how would I work them into a formula? I can’t seem to figure that out.

Thank you in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

Either REGEX_MATCH or LEFT would work.

Right now you’re just checking if there is a value for both {Code} and {Name}. With either REGEX or LEFT, you’d add a third condition to your AND() to check if they’re identical.

IF(
   AND(
      {Name}, 
      {Code}, 
      LEFT({Name}, 10) = LEFT({Code}, 10)
   ), 
   "Codes Match!", 
   ""
)

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

Either REGEX_MATCH or LEFT would work.

Right now you’re just checking if there is a value for both {Code} and {Name}. With either REGEX or LEFT, you’d add a third condition to your AND() to check if they’re identical.

IF(
   AND(
      {Name}, 
      {Code}, 
      LEFT({Name}, 10) = LEFT({Code}, 10)
   ), 
   "Codes Match!", 
   ""
)

Thank you so much, @Kamille_Parks !

@Kamille_Parks - one more question: in my “real world” base, the field {Code} is a lookup field.
When I try your formula pointing to that lookup field, I get an #ERROR!.
Is there a way to turn the lookup field into a text string?

I just found the answer - if {Code} is a Lookup field, the formula needs to say:

IF(
AND(
{Name},
{Code},
LEFT({Name}, 10) = LEFT(ARRAYJOIN({Code}), 10)
),
“Codes Match!”,
“”
)