2453 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benoit_cerceau
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello Airtable community! I need your precious help as I’ve been spending the last 2 days trying to figure this out and can’t seem to do what I want done here…

In one table I have a field name “Country” and another field right next it that’s named “States”.
I am trying to show a selected number of options in the “States” field based on what has been selected in the “Country” field.

e.g: I choose “USA” between all other countries available in the (single-select!) field “Country” and I want the field “States” to return ONLY the results corresponding to States with the USA.
So, depending on what’s selected in field “Country”, it needs to show only a few selected options in the field right next to it.
If I choose “USA”, I want the column next it to give me the 50 states (Choosing between California, Nevada, etc)
If I choose “CANADA”, I want the column next it to give me the canadian states only! etc…

I have tried creating a different table with all information included, per country and use the linking record and even tried the formulas but somehow I cannot seem to find a way to make it simple and keep going around, which becomes very frustrating…

Thank you very much for your help!!

1 Reply 1
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community, @benoit_cerceau! 🙂

What you’re looking for is called a “conditional value list” or a “dynamic value list” or a “dynamic dropdown menu”.

Unfortunately, this isn’t a feature that is built into Airtable, although I wish it was! This has been one of the top feature requests from Airtable customers since Airtable's inception.

If you’d like to do this in Airtable, there is one known hack to make this happen, but it has lots of limitations and it can only be used in an Airtable system where ONE PERSON will be doing data entry at a time. It's really not a feasible solution.

However, the good news is that as of November 2023, there are now 2 external apps that offer this functionality: Fillout and Noloco:

1. Fillout is the most advanced form software for Airtable. It natively communicates with Airtable in real time, and it gives tons of advanced features that are all Airtable-specific. I gave a brief demo of Fillout on this episode of the BuiltOnAir Podcast.

2. Noloco is the most powerful portal tool available for Airtable. I give a brief tutorial of Noloco on this episode of the BuiltOnAir podcast. And I also presented a full one-hour webinar on Noloco called Building a Client Portal on Noloco powered by Airtable.

However, if someone REALLY needs a database system that has this feature natively built into it, I would highly recommend turning to FileMaker. I used to be a FileMaker Developer for almost 30 years before becoming an Airtable consultant. Feel free to reach out to me through my website if you'd like me to turn you onto some excellent FileMaker developers (or if you just need some advanced Airtable consulting).

And if you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld