620 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shari_dorenkamp
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I am new to airtable and trying to complete a table that has a single select choice in column A for make of the car and I want to have a single select choice in Column B that is contingent on the choice made in Column A…i.e. If Ford is chosen in Column A, then the only choices that are present to you in Column B are Explorer, Escape, Expedition, Fusion, Mustang, Thunderbird. But if your choice in Column A is Mercedes then the choices you have to choose from in column B are C Class, E Class S Class, or SUV, etc

thanks shari

5 Replies 5

Welcome to the community, @shari_dorenkamp!

You’re looking for what is sometimes called a “conditional value list” or a “dynamic value list”.

Unfortunately, that isn’t a built-in feature of Airtable, although I would recommend adding it as a feature request in the #show-and-tell:product-suggestions category.

However, there is a workaround that you can use to create the behavior that you’re looking for — but it depends on only one person creating new records at a time:

You could probably also create this same functionality (without the one-person limitation) by creating a custom JavaScript for these purposes.

Hope this helps!

Thank You! I am not a computer person and this helps because now I can now stop looking for the answer:)

Ha, you’re welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

If you have a budget for your project and you need to hire a computer person to help you implement this solution, that’s what I do for people! I am expert Airtable developer. Feel free to send me a private message or contact me through my website at ScottWorld.com.

Question…can you link data in a separate base in the same workspace? If so could I great a new base that contains the cars make and model and then link the approproate columns back into my original table?

Yes, you can use Airtable’s new syncing feature to pull in information from another base.