3137 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_Maynard
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would like to extract the FOURTH word from the data that is populated in my Airtable. The first three words are always the same. The fourth word could have three characters or four characters or it could have five. How can I extract the 4th word and create a new field with it?

Use case: The extracted word becomes a tag.

Sample text:

Next Level Show Dog Event
Next Level Show Dogs Event
Next Level Show Birds Event

Extracted to a new field:
Dog
Dogs
Birds

Thank you for your assistance.

5 Replies 5
pcbowers
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@Jeff_Maynard, what you are looking for is the REGEX_EXTRACT() formula function. I can show you an example using the following sample text:

Here is a possible regular expression that you could use: ^(?:\w+\s){3}(\w+).

Explanation: The ^ marks the start of the string. A (?:...) marks a non-capturing group. Since we don’t want to capture the first three words, I wrap them in a non-capturing group and match for them. A \w matches any word character, the + says match as many as possible until you hit a non-word character (i.e. a space). The \s matches any white space character. This means the following section matches the first word and the space that follows it: (?:\w+\s). To match it three times, add {3}. Now that you have matched the first three words, all you need to do is extract the last one. A capturing group signifies what it is that you want to extract, represented as such: (...). To match a word, simply do the same as above but leave out the white space: \w+. Thus, the final expression is ^(?:\w+\s){3}(\w+).

Here is a screenshot of what it could possibly look like once inputted (formula used: REGEX_EXTRACT({Sample Text}, "^(?:\\w+\\s){3}(\\w+)")😞

This should hopefully solve your problem!

This is brilliant, and possibly the best explanation of REGEX that I have ever seen in my life!

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help. I will jump on this afternoon and it gives a try!

It worked! Can I buy you a coffee?

@Jeff_Maynard It’s enough for me to know that it worked! Thank you for the offer, though!