961 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandi_Mills
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I saw a post with the following formula: IF(IS_BEFORE({Due Date}, TODAY()), “ :boom: ”, " ") This formula puts the emoji in a column if the due date for something is past. I’m not really good with formulas. Is there a way to make it have that emoji if it is ON the due date AND after?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Brandi_Mills,

You should be able to use something like this:

IF(
  {Due Date},
  IF(
    OR(
      IS_SAME(TODAY(), {Due Date}, 'day'),
      IS_AFTER(TODAY(), {Due Date})
    ),
    "💥"
  )
)

This will first check for any value at all in the {Due Date} field – IF( {Due Date} ... . If the field is empty, then execution will stop and nothing will be output.

If any value at all is found in the {Due Date} field, then it will continue to process the next conditional. Inside that, we make an OR() condition. If either one (IS_SAME() or IS_AFTER()) comes back as true, then it will output the emoji, otherwise it will not output anything.

So the end result of this is either an 💥 emoji if the due date is today or past, or else a blank cell.

I prefer to use Airtable’s explicit Date functions like IS_SAME() and IS_AFTER() rather than comparing dates with math operators like < or >= because I feel it makes the formula more clear to future readers. That’s just personal preference, though.

Also, here’s an explanation of how to access the emoji picker in Windows:

How To Use Emojis On Windows 10 (Updated 2017)

Color emojis are supported natively on Windows. This is how to use the built-in emoji picker in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update which is new in 2017. Note: Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is due for release in the second half of 2017. Windows...

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
Aron
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

You can see if today is greater than the due and apply the emoji.

IF(TODAY()>{your date field},"late","")

Brandi_Mills

Thank you! How would I also make it blank if there was no date in the due date column? I’m lost on all of the parenthesis and extra quotations and what they mean. I will have time to go research that one day, i hope…(but for now, i gotta make just this work).

Also, where do you get the emojis? (when on a Windows desktop).

Hi @Brandi_Mills,

You should be able to use something like this:

IF(
  {Due Date},
  IF(
    OR(
      IS_SAME(TODAY(), {Due Date}, 'day'),
      IS_AFTER(TODAY(), {Due Date})
    ),
    "💥"
  )
)

This will first check for any value at all in the {Due Date} field – IF( {Due Date} ... . If the field is empty, then execution will stop and nothing will be output.

If any value at all is found in the {Due Date} field, then it will continue to process the next conditional. Inside that, we make an OR() condition. If either one (IS_SAME() or IS_AFTER()) comes back as true, then it will output the emoji, otherwise it will not output anything.

So the end result of this is either an 💥 emoji if the due date is today or past, or else a blank cell.

I prefer to use Airtable’s explicit Date functions like IS_SAME() and IS_AFTER() rather than comparing dates with math operators like < or >= because I feel it makes the formula more clear to future readers. That’s just personal preference, though.

Also, here’s an explanation of how to access the emoji picker in Windows:

How To Use Emojis On Windows 10 (Updated 2017)

Color emojis are supported natively on Windows. This is how to use the built-in emoji picker in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update which is new in 2017. Note: Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is due for release in the second half of 2017. Windows...

Thank you very much -that worked!