1579 6
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Holli_Younger
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Can someone help me combine multiple roll-up fields into one?
These fields are notes from another table. Instead of having multiple roll-up fields spreading across the projects table I’d like to combine them into 1 field. I’d like to add a “heading” of text in between each rollup to differentiate each note field. My current formula gives me an error.

CONCATENATE("Incoming Request: " & {Incoming Request}& "\n" & "Contractor Notes: "{Contractor Notes}& "\n" &"Client Notes: " & {Client Notes}& "\n" &"Project Notes: " & {Project Notes}&"\n" &)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andywingrave
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hello! Try this:

CONCATENATE("Incoming Request: " & {Incoming Request} & "\n" & "Contractor Notes: " & {Contractor Notes} & "\n" & "Client Notes: " & {Client Notes}& "\n" &"Project Notes: " & {Project Notes} &"\n")

If this solves it, please mark this as “solved” to help the community in future. If not - Let me know, and I’ll come back to make sure we sort it out for you

See Solution in Thread

6 Replies 6
andywingrave
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hello! Try this:

CONCATENATE("Incoming Request: " & {Incoming Request} & "\n" & "Contractor Notes: " & {Contractor Notes} & "\n" & "Client Notes: " & {Client Notes}& "\n" &"Project Notes: " & {Project Notes} &"\n")

If this solves it, please mark this as “solved” to help the community in future. If not - Let me know, and I’ll come back to make sure we sort it out for you

This worked perfectly, thank you. What change did you make?

It was just a shift to the inverted commas - You had it pretty much spot on, but the change I made was the kind only a fresh pair of eyes would be able to solve

:eyes:

CleanShot 2020-05-26 at 20.11.37

Thank you. I appreciate you helping and the further explanation.

It looks like you inserted a missing & in the concatenation.

Things like this are so hard to catch!

BTW, I’m not sure if you’re aware of this, but you’re actually using two different forms of concatenation in that formula: the CONCATENATE() function and the & operator.

CONCATENATE() is designed to be used like this:

CONCATENATE(item1, item2, item3, ...)

Notice the comma separation between items. You’re passing in each item as an argument to the function.

The & operator is designed as a shortcut way of concatenating a series of items, and is meant to be used on its own, like this:

item1 & item2 & item3 & ...

By combining everything using the & operator first, and then passing that single item to CONCATENATE(), you’re effectively concatenating a single string that has already been concatenated. :slightly_smiling_face: In the end, all you need for your formula is the inner portion, without the CONCATENATE() wrapper around it.

One more optimization: I noticed in a few places that you’re doing this:

... & "\n" & "Another string" ...

…when the newline escape code ("\n") could be combined with the string immediately after it:

... & "\nAnother string" ...