954 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Engage_CS
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello. Not sure if I have chosen the right forum (formulas) but here’s hoping someone can help me.

I work for a charity that holds a number of different training sessions with the local community. We use a standardised survey for gathering feedback for all the different sessions with Survey Monkey, and then use Integromat to import the results into the table you see below. The results are then grouped by the training session that respondents indicted that they attended in the survey in order to make them comparable to some degree. Each quarter, we will filter responses from the last 3 months and then use the feedback to report on our progress.

This information is for funders and obviously I can’t share with them a full set of survey responses. Therefore, I want to somehow turn this data into informative data at-a-glance without using the Charts block because that doesn’t display info in an appropriate way and it also can’t be downloaded.

The core issue I am having is one of converting the information I have here into percentages/ integers which could then, say, be turned into a pie chart or bar graph. I would like to have some means of aggregating the data so that it shows something along the lines of (a) the total amount of responses for each training session, i.e. ‘Fundraising Made Easy’, and (b) the percentage of the total respondents for each session that chose a particular response that best represents their opinion. For clarity, each field/ column corresponds to a question on the survey.

Looking at the ‘Fundraising’ session, for example, under the field headed ‘Host knowledge’ there are 4 responses: 1 person/ 25% says ‘Excellent’, while 3/ 75% say ‘Fair’. However, in the future there will be many more responses that won’t make a mental calculation feasible so therefore I will need this done quickly- potentially with a formula of sorts? I literally have no idea- I feel like I have been bashing my head against a brick wall for some time now! I would be profoundly grateful with any help anyone can provide. Thanks for reading- please use simple terms in your response to assist my understanding of what you mean.

PS: These are tests results, we’re not as wildly inconsistent as the test data would suggest!

Screenshot 2020-10-13 at 00.52.28

3 Replies 3
VictoriaPlummer
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I’d suggest re-working your base design (aka Schema) a bit to take advantage of Airtable’s database functionality.

This table is actually a table of responses, and is more aptly named “Responses”. Also, you’re going to want to make the primary field unique. Usually a formula foe responder name + date is unique enough.

The “Training Event” field could actually be a linked record, which points to a table called “Training Events.” Here, you could rollup values from the responses table to get the %'s that you’re looking for.

Check out some of the custom apps in the marketplace for more charting apps, some of which I think you can download as a png. You can also share/embed apps dashboard, which removes the need for exporting.

1. Create a share link to the base
  2. Open that link in your browser
  3. Make the apps dashboard full screen
  4. Copy the link in your browser. Which is now a dashboard share view link.

Hello Victoria,

Thanks for your reply. Say I were to follow you advice and change the name of the table you see in my initial post to ‘Responses’ and then create a separate table for ‘Training Events’- can you give me some indication of how the new ‘Training Events’ table would be structured in terms of its field names. Would I, for example, have to have a field that says ‘Excellent’, one that says ‘Fair’, and so on, and aggregate the responses underneath them that way? I’m not sure that would work for what I need. I am having difficulty imagining what you’re suggesting I do.

I also wondered if you could recommend a charting app? I have found one other Charting app called Vega-Lite, but that requires some degree of coding capability and I don’t have the skills to do that!

Thanks very much!

Hola :wave: . All good questions. I’d use the pivot table app to show variations in responses and share the dashboard.