559 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jessica_Pena
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

hope this is the right place for this question, but we'll see!

Context: We have a 'Tasks' table where each team member may have a list of hundreds of tasks (thanks to the joys of generating task templates). I would like to have a View for users that allows filtering out all child tasks until the parent task's 'Status' field reads "Complete". This would create a nice flow of the next steps for a project filtering into the view once a parent task has been resolved.

The Tasks table has a linked field called "Blocked by:", which links to the same table. Here, users link a record (parent task) that must be completed before they can complete this task.

Is there a way to 'hide' any records that have a linked record whose Status is NOT "complete"?  Then, once the linked record's Status is "Complete", by virtue of not meeting those conditions, the child task appears? 🤩

Ideal situation - there are a few team members who use this table– it would be optimal if a single user could customize their own view to operate in this way, rather than creating a script or formula that applies this change for all users. 

I'm grateful for any input on this question!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stephen_Orr1
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Yes, it's actually quite simple! (You're going to laugh :)). Create a lookup field on the Blocked By linked record for the Status field and voila! now you have parent task status that you can filter to create a view with. You can also hide this lookup field if it clutters things.

Hope that is helpful!

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
Stephen_Orr1
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Yes, it's actually quite simple! (You're going to laugh :)). Create a lookup field on the Blocked By linked record for the Status field and voila! now you have parent task status that you can filter to create a view with. You can also hide this lookup field if it clutters things.

Hope that is helpful!

HA! Oh, geez 🤦🏻‍♀️. That IS funny– I'm exhausted today and before I posted this, I thought 'self, this has to be super easy, just get some sleep and get back after it tomorrow' (because my brain is not working today)... but I've been so sucked into working on my base and was impatient for a resolution. Thank you for your swift response– that obviously worked, and now it's bedtime! 😆😴