2227 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joanne_Georges
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I want to make sure the cost of the services is split according to the months it's meant to run. For example, a Product is $16,500 and will run for 6 months (Start in Feb, End Jul), so Product Per Month is $2,750. I want to create a formula that puts a $2,750 in each field (image attached of my table). So in my mind the monthly formula should read: If Start is after 1/31/2023, than equal Product Spent Per Month. The formula that I have in each month is: 

{Product Per Month} and that's it.

I don't know how to make the formula for If, than in this case.

Joanne_Georges_0-1675358064701.png

16 Replies 16
AirBenderMarcus
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hey @kuovonne. How do you know so much about how resource-intensive certain functions are? That is something I definitely want to understand better so I can better optimize my bases.

My comments about resource-intensive formulas are based on 

- statements from Airtable about how frequently time-based functions update
- personal observations of update times for rollups with many values
- comments from previous clients regarding base performance
- a study that a third party vendor published about API speeds across different base configurations (I don't recall the exact link.)
- observations of processing times of inefficient scripts (not formula calculations, but a similar idea)

The exact amount of processing required by any one function is tiny. It is how these add up that makes an impact. The care we put into our formulas/code now affects not only that code, but also develops habits that affect how we write future code, and affects others who see our code and copy the techniques. What happens if AI learns based on code examples and many of those code examples have smelly code? We have a duty to others and our future selves to write the cleanest code we can.

This is not to say that there is no place for quick/sloppy code. I have certainly written my share of stinky code. Some of it is still floating around the internet. It was the best code I could write at the time. But I still strive to write better code. I suspect that years from now, I will look at the code I write today and have better ways to write it.

Sorry to come back a year later. I'm still having an issue with the same table. My team is small and sorta sloppy already. So there are no funds for a consultant, and there is little room for a restructuing of how things are done. So, any notes would be greatly appreciated.

AirBenderMarcus
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi again. If you're still struggling a year later then it sounds to me like you can't afford NOT to get a consultant. I'm happy to provide some more hands-on help through my consultancy, but as kuovonne originally suggested, you'll likely want to update your base structure. All the month splits should be its own record instead of an individual field because as I'm sure you've realized by now, maintaining new fields every month isn't all that scalable.

I completely agree, but I dont have that sort of authority to change the way infromation/clients are brought into the business. And I want to clarify, I can change the airtable "base" sure but this is how the information we have is preferred to be read by management. I'm just trying to make it easier for colleagues to input that information.

Either way, I don't understand what others have said about changing the base. I'm not understanding how else to present this information.

If you have a Client record that links to multiple Month records, you can generate the graphs in an interface like how you wanted in your original post. It will just require creating a new table. 

If the bigger concern is making it easier for your colleagues to input that information, then perhaps creating a custom interface for data entry might serve you as well!

I offer free consultations. I think I can probably get you on the right track during that session if you'd like.

yes, if you have the ability to quickly go over some options.