Help

Re: Conditionally shown fields in interfaces?

Solved
Jump to Solution
3396 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sean_Murphy1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I’m curious if there are any plans to add conditionally shown fields to Interfaces, similar to what is possible in form view?

For example, if you’re tracking network outages you might use one field to specify that the cause is a power outage, in which case you would want other fields to appear that let you specify when the power outage started and ended (so you can track UPS runtime when the power goes out, and site recovery time when it comes back.)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sean_Murphy1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Well rejoice, because the feature is here!
https://support.airtable.com/docs/building-and-sharing-forms-in-airtable#setting-conditional-form-field-visibility 

[EDIT] Apologies, that link must've snuck into my clipboard without me realizing. Of course it is not the correct link. Sorry for the confusion. The correct link is here
it's a little buried, but look for 'Visibility' under 'Adding, reordering, removing, and customizing fields' and 'Using groups in record detail pages' under 'Configure the group properties on the right side:' ... does airtable hate anchor tags or something? 😅

I haven't had a chance to use it heavily yet, but if this had been there when I started designing my interfaces, I'd have a lot fewer interfaces.

[EDIT] I have been using it heavily in a way I hope is compatible with future development. That is, I now simply have a 'workflow step' column and I only show groups that are relevant to that step in the workflow. It results in some pretty clunky looking pages in 'edit' mode, but it's a small price to pay to be able to clearly define workflow steps and have the interface adjust appropriately for users.

See Solution in Thread

16 Replies 16
David_Needham1
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have this exact question.

Alex_Gribov

Same – This would be a very useful feature for designing. It would also be especially useful in being able to “group” elements and toggle the whole group conditionally.

E.g. if status is A show Group A, if status is B show group B (where each group has things besides fields – Such as text boxes

Fjodor

Same here !

Would be nice to specify via a filter, which fields are visible. We have lots of products (6.000+) in different categories. Each category has it's own small subset of meaningful fields to manage.

At the moment, I have to use interface-page for each category. We have about 15-20 categories. Would be great to have only one interface page with conditionally showing the fields, which match a filter criteria (by category in our scenario).

This is my same situation. Conditionally shown fields is crucial to interface success. I'm trying to design a portal where user ONLY interact with interfaces. Already, column view is useless with this many fields.

ns

+1

Sophie_BELLEGO

Same here, really need to adjust my forms into interfaces, much more easy for the team to answer.... but really need to use the conditionnal option to make it work !

Yehoshua_Staube
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am eagerly waiting for this as well. +1!!!!!

SoulFULLTool
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes please! This would be super handy. I tried to get it right in forms but couldn't do it all there. This would be a great alternative.

scrambledmeggs

My team DESPERATELY needs a feature like this! +1

IPS_Grow_Admin

Me three! Defo need this and need this yesterday. Building new stuff and cannot face the thought of having to do it without being able to use conditional logic on the interface 😞

Iyas_AlQasem
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Absolutely. It seems insane to have to choose from the very limited formatting of a Form, but with the ability to have conditional fields, or the much richer formatting of an Interface, but no conditional fields. Frustrating!

Please incorporate this. Otherwise, I'll need to continue with Gravity Forms, which is insane as in my scenario they just feed an Airtable database!

ridiculoustrace
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Begging for this.

Sean_Murphy1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Happily this seems to be a thing, now, although it's not perfect. I haven't seen it announced anywhere and I'm hopeful they'll sort out of of the weird restrictions on what fields you can base your condition on. Also at the moment it seems limited to record creation interfaces. I'd love to see it applicable everywhere!

Sean_Murphy1_0-1683909471217.png

Thanks for posting @Sean_Murphy1 I would never have noticed (not for a while at least!) if you hadn't.  This is indeed progress. Hopefully it will expand to all interfaces but i will take this for now!

hexadb
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I feel like a good old fashioned bump of this thread is just what's needed. Praying we will one day have conditional fields in Interfaces. 

Sean_Murphy1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Well rejoice, because the feature is here!
https://support.airtable.com/docs/building-and-sharing-forms-in-airtable#setting-conditional-form-field-visibility 

[EDIT] Apologies, that link must've snuck into my clipboard without me realizing. Of course it is not the correct link. Sorry for the confusion. The correct link is here
it's a little buried, but look for 'Visibility' under 'Adding, reordering, removing, and customizing fields' and 'Using groups in record detail pages' under 'Configure the group properties on the right side:' ... does airtable hate anchor tags or something? 😅

I haven't had a chance to use it heavily yet, but if this had been there when I started designing my interfaces, I'd have a lot fewer interfaces.

[EDIT] I have been using it heavily in a way I hope is compatible with future development. That is, I now simply have a 'workflow step' column and I only show groups that are relevant to that step in the workflow. It results in some pretty clunky looking pages in 'edit' mode, but it's a small price to pay to be able to clearly define workflow steps and have the interface adjust appropriately for users.