Help

Re: Create a new record directly in the record review layout (bypassing the form)

774 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mathieu_Ruille1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi community,

Sorry to bother, I’ve been trying to work this out by myself for hours now…
I’m surprised I’m the first to bring that up, or maybe it’s just a simple function I did not find yet?

I’m in a record review layout. When creating a new record, I’d love it immediately displayed in the record review.

Current (annoying) use: the “create new record” button of the record list opens a new record form. Once validated, this newly created record is somewhere (lost) in the record list; I have to find it to have it displayed on record review, and start populating the fields the way I want to.

I’ve been thinking of adding a button to run an automation with something like

• create new record
  • find record ID
  • open interface record ID url https://airtable.com/baseId/interfacePageId?recordPickerId=recordId

…but I’m not familiar with scripting at all.

4 Replies 4

Welcome to the Airtable community!

You are not the first to notice this behavior and want the behavior you described. However, people tend to have different ways of phrasing this issue so it is hard to search for.

There is no simple workaround for this issue. It is not possible to have a button or scripting that will do what you want. Scripting cannot open a record in the user interface.

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Scripting cannot open an url? Indeed I tried (window.open) and didnt achieve anything, which I believed was just my lack of coding ability, but again it seems to be just plain impossible.

Scripting does not have access to the window object. Plus, scripting is not yet available in interfaces. Scripting can present a markdown link that leads to a url, but the user has to click the link and the url will open in a new window.

UPDATE:
After 2022-10-13 big general update on Airtable, the validation of the new record form brings you directly to displaying this newly created record on record review.
Much more convenient.