Help

Creating a new record that is linked to the current record selected in interface

Solved
Jump to Solution
310 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EaZyGreen
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi Community, 

I would like to create a new record that is automatically linked to a parent record when I click "+ Add record" in the interface detail view of my parent record in Airtable Interface.

To try to explain clearly, my database is comprised of two hierarchies in two different tables.
Table 1 is "Communications" and contains the parent records.
Table 2 is "Web Articles" and contains the child records that are linked to a "communication" record in table 1.

When I am in the interface list view of the "communications" table, and click on the details of the "communication" record, I can see my linked web articles (see screenshot 1).

The only way to add a new record from here is to create one with a form. If I then try to add a new record (+ Add article), it opens a form to create a new record in the child "web articles" table, but there does not seem to be any way to link this new record directly to the parent record through which I clicked "+add article" in the details view, even if I add the parent linked record field in the form and look for a default value. (see screenshot 2)

I noticed that this "automatically linking to parent record" that I am trying to do works if I am using a Kanban view layout and click the "+" button, but this does not seem to be possible when the child's linked records appearance is shown using the basic "field > card" layout.

The problem is that the Kanban layout does not work on mobile phones, so I cannot use it as I need to use the Airtable interface from my phone.

Can someone please help me with this, as it is a very limiting feature to the tool that I am building and I have not found a workaround yet.

All the best,
Alex

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Hmm, I tried replicating this but it appears to create the new records linked to the parent record fine, and so I think I misunderstood your setup somewhere?

I have a List view that allows me to click into record details, and in there I have a linked field that allows me to create new records in the linked table:

Screen Recording 2024-03-30 at 3.06.30 PM.gif
Link to base

If you could let me know where my setup differs I could see what I can figure out!

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Hmm, I tried replicating this but it appears to create the new records linked to the parent record fine, and so I think I misunderstood your setup somewhere?

I have a List view that allows me to click into record details, and in there I have a linked field that allows me to create new records in the linked table:

Screen Recording 2024-03-30 at 3.06.30 PM.gif
Link to base

If you could let me know where my setup differs I could see what I can figure out!

EaZyGreen

Hi @TheTimeSavingCo,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look into this. You are 100% correct, it does work! I don't know what happened yesterday when I tried, it didn't seem to have linked my test record. Maybe I accidentally filled in a form that was not opened from the parent folder...

My apologies, and thank you so much for your help.

All the best,

Alex